CHAPTER NINE

Days were passing quick as lightning and Alex and I were so damn in love. She was hidden in the castle with me and only I, Asia, Sibilla and Alfredo knew about her.

Dorian and Alfredo were worried for Keegan, Calvin and Jacob, Asia was also worried for Jacob, her boyfriend. We didn’t know where they were and if they were fine or not and Lucinda was like disappeared: no matter how much we looked for her, she was…well, God only knows where.

Alex was sorry for her family, especially for her dad and her mom, and I felt so guilty though she told me she would have made the same choice to escape with me if she had another chance. But, sometimes, I heard her crying. And it hurt me to see her teardrop.

Everyone was so nervous and worried, all our world was paralyzed. Dorian was trying to keep everybody quiet spreading some fake news, that I think nobody believed, while Alfredo was trying to plan something I didn’t know anything about.

I got used to walk in the wide garden with Alex, hand-in-hand, every afternoon and sometimes we went for a walk in the evening or late night too and let me tell you that the moonlight shining on her face was something indescribable because of the high level of beauty.

Sometimes she felt asleep with me and I kept staring at her until dawn, then I slept too, and I was never tired of eyeing her.

Alex was frail and she was getting scared and she felt guilty because of having left her family, though she wanted to stay with me. One day she was smily and happy but the day after she cried and got frightened.

One afternoon Alfredo came to visit us, he had some news. We were having lunch all together when I walked in the room, he was seriously worried.

< we don’t have news of our ‘brothers’ and the same is happing for Lucinda: she’s gone somewhere we don’t know > he explained < Adam, I need you to go > he added < tomorrow >

< I will > I said standing up from my chair

< be carful > Alfredo warned me < I don’t know what’s happening  there >

I nodded.

< Asia, you’re coming with me now > he added < we need you >

< of course > she answered pretending to smile

< may I talk to you now? > I asked < in private >

< follow me > Alfredo affirmed.

And walked off, leaving everyone worried and silent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alex’s pov:

Adam had just walked off the room following a man called Alfredo who told him to leave tomorrow and go where the others should be. I’m afraid of letting him go.

It’s been two weeks we’re here and he I don’t recognize anymore the boy I fell so deeply in love with; he’s sweet but he’s so standoffish and raving. He doesn’t talk a lot and he keeps starring at the darkness of the night, even when we go out for a walk. It seems he doesn’t want me here. I’m scared because of the probably world’s end and I’m so worried because of Adam and not even a little bit for myself, though Sibilla keeps repeating me I’m going to die because of my and Adam’s immaturity. She’s so immoral and disagreeable, I don’t know how Asia can stay with her. She also threw away my phone because here she says I can’t keep it. I kind of hate her.

Someday I think about my family, my mom, and it’s killing me to know they’re probably suffering for my fault. I shouldn’t have left them in that way, but Adam was going to leave and I wanted to leave with him so bad. He feels guilty, I guess, but it isn’t his fault.  He’s now like a light which is switching off and so do I.