~Chapter One~

Sofia felt like jumping for joy. She was so excited! This day was going to be awesome. She bounded through the halls, singing, laughing, jumping. Her mother woke up, looking sort of mad. Sofia wondered why. 

"Sofi, it is three in the morning, could you please lower your voice?"

"But mommy, I'm just too happy!" Sofia twirled around in a circle to demonstrate just how excited she was. "It's the first day of school!" Her mom sighed, looking very weary. Sofia stopped twirling, and looked at her mom. She seemed  very sad. But then again, Mommy was always sad these days. Sofia could hardly remember a day that she wasn't unhappy. Sofia decided to be kind to her mother, and gave her a big hug. "Are you okay Mommy?" She whispered.

"No Sofi, I am not okay right now."

"Why?" Sofia asked, pulling away.

"I am very stressed."

"What does 'stressed' mean?" Sofia asked, curious.

"It means that your mother is very, very tired right now, and her silly little girl should go back to bed." She scooped up Sofia and started tickling her. Sofia laughed and giggled all the way back to her room down the hall. Her mother plopped her on the bed. Sofia wriggled under the covers, and pulled them up to her chin. 

"Good night mommy."

"Good night, Sofi."

Sofia smiled as her mom kissed her forehead, and walked out of the room, turning off the light as she left.

                     ~                    ~                    ~                    ~                    ~                    ~                    ~                    ~

Three hours later, and Sofia couldn't keep her eyes closed. She lay awake, not wanting to disturb her mother, but not wanting to go back to sleep either. Sofia had been so excited for this day ever since she and her mom had moved from a far away land called New York. Sofia remembered that it was cold and snowy in the winter, and she remembered her friends. She had a lot of friends. Sometimes, Sofia would wonder if her friends even remembered her. Even if they didn't, Sofi still remembered them, and wished they were here with her now. It would be nice if she already new some people at her new school. But then again, that was why Sofia was so excited for this day. So she could make new friends. 

"Sofi, time to wake up!" 

"Yay!" Sofia jumped out of bed, got dressed as fast as a lightning bolt and dashed out the door. She was a superhero, ready to save the world. She flew into the kitchen and almost crashed into the table.

"Woah there, horsey. Slow down." 

"Sorry Momma, I was just so happy." 

"It's fine, I just don't want you getting hurt on your first day of kindergarten."

"Are those pancakes Mommy?" 

"Yes, of course."

"Pancakes are my favorite!" There were also her super-food. She ate pancakes when she was starting to lose her superhero powers.

Her mother gave her a plate, and poured syrup over Sofia's pancake. She cut the piece of super-food into little bite-sized squares, and gave Sofi a fork. 

"Eat up!" She said. Sofia gobbled down her pancake, enjoying it's warmth and sweetness, and asked for another one. "My goodness," her mother said, "you must be hungry Sofi!"

"I am Mommy, but pancakes also give me superpowers."

"No way! Can you show me?"

"I want to Mommy, but only superheroes can see it."