Prologue

Ms. Martin looked in awe at her little girl. She was always fascinated by infants. They were so small, and knew so little, yet they still managed to communicate with expression. They learned so fast. But the awe wouldn't last forever. She knew that soon, having a newborn baby would be a hassle, and without help...Well, she wouldn't cloud her mind with such thoughts now. It was time to be a mother. 

It was her daughter's first birthday. Ms. Martin watched her eat her first cupcake in a highchair. The girl's tiny face was covered in chocolate frosting. Ms. Martin smiled. The first year was a struggle, especially when she got the letter. It broke her heart in so many ways. She was now a single mother with a growing child. But she had to keep on. She would give this girl all she had. 

The girl was three now, and gosh, was she a chatterbox. She would go on and on and on about some princess who fell in the mud, or a fairy she met yesterday, or how very much she wanted some chocolate. Her joy brought a smile to Ms. Martin's grief lined face. Her laughter made Ms. Martin want to live. Not survive, but live

The girl was four now, and Ms. Martin was in a very tough situation. She had just lost her one and only chance of raising her daughter in the place she wanted. Ms. Martin watched the girl play. She seemed so happy, so innocent, untouched by the world. Ms. Martin intended to keep it that way. It was time to leave her home.