Chapter 8

We sheltered for the night, in an old disused eyrie, long abandoned but warmish, and dry at least. I settled down in a corner, and Icewind in the opposite, facing me. "My Father, you knew him well?"

"Yes, he taught me and my kin a lot, he was like a Father to us, to the last. You see, my own Father is missing, abducted by an evil creature called Enlil," Icewind listened intently, as I related my life story, telling of my experiences with his Father, my death, and my subsequent revival. Then of how we helped his Father to his chosen death.

"Snowthorn, I thank you. It means a lot to me, that you were there, at his ending. I wish I was able to have been there, but alas, my own stupidity has robbed me of life's experiences," he lamented. "He was talking of you, before he crossed, and is waiting for you still."

"Waiting?" he asked, a look of puzzlement in his eyes.

"Yes, his spirit is assisting my kin in their energy work. He is hoping you will be able to communicate with him, when you come to take his place, as the new Oracle." Icewind was delighted, he obviously looked forward to meeting him.

We both slept a sound night, and woke refreshed at dawn.

We flew to his domain, in a couple of hours, approaching at height. Immediately, I knew there was something wrong! It was too quiet. Silence screamed at us as we approached the mountain, and the eyrie.

"Snowflake? Snowflake!" Icewind cried frantically. He rushed into the cave. I landed, dropping casket in the doorway.

"Snowthorn! They are gone! Gone!"

"Gone?" I asked, astounded. "Yes! Gone!" Icewind cried. A knot of fear gripped my innards, there was blood and a couple of scales around the cave. A battle, of sorts, had occurred here recently, gouge marks of various dragon's claws, had raked the floor.

"Icewind, you must use your powers, see where they are... do it, do it now!" Tears filled his eyes. I could feel his anguish and heartache, bringing me to the verge of tears myself, but he heard the truth of my advice, and settled.

Closing his eyes, he began to see, he talked...

"Yes, they came in the night, in the cold, hunger and lust driving them hard! Six feral, lawless ones, from the far north... They share!" he spat. "They share the females, and... and eat the young of their enemies!"

Anger boiled in my blood. Eat the young! Share the females! An involuntary flame, burst from my throat, scorching the roof. We both raged, ready to battle for his kin, at that moment, I would have died for them. Fear of death, was not an issue, I had been there, and returned too.

The kidnappers had not, and would fear for their souls. We both raced to the cave mouth, and leapt into the air, wheeling to the north. Time was of the essence, small lives depended on us, and I don't think we wasted a single moment. We flew recklessly fast, not heeding any warnings of territorial boundaries. I had to follow Icewind, as he used his developing senses.

"No! No! No!" Icewind cried in anguish. Far below us, crumpled on the glacier, lay the torn, and half devoured body, one of Icewind's offspring.

A crushing blow hammered my heart. A small piece of my soul died, right there on the ice. I could feel the terrible despair radiating from Icewind. He just stood, in a state of shock.