Chapter 3

Mother called us round.

She told us that my spirit Grandfather had found the astral essence of Father!

He was far to the southwest, alive then, but he had been unable to communicate with him. Saying that it had been a strange and unsettling experience, as if it was not really Father at all.

Mother became transformed by the good news, but was deeply troubled by his latter comments.

Finally she deemed us able to travel farther afield. She seemed very determined that we go far to the north and consult the Oracle; being the oldest dragon alive, he would surely have knowledge of these silvery craft and their evil inhabitants.

After nuzzling a fond farewell with Mother, the three of us set off.

It took almost a week of northerly flight to reach the domain of the Oracle, skirting the territories of other dragons; the last thing we needed was a territorial battle with our kind.

I could feel the Oracle's mental presence clearly, shining like a beacon in the night. He was observing us with interest, obviously sensing our approach.

"Welcome friends, come forward in peace," his voice was warm and friendly, guiding us through the mountains.

As we swooped closer, over the next ridge of peaks, we came across a magnificent sight: ahead of us was a huge circular valley, ringed with impressive lofty peaks. Astonishingly the valley was completely free of ice and snow! Instead lush forests, grasslands and high meadows grew, leading to a splendid central mountain. The very air was warm and fresh, which we found slightly disconcerting, we who had only known the wind's icy bite. High on the mountainside was a magnificent eyrie, with a commanding view over the surrounding lands. The cave mouth was piled high with fresh meat, possibly left as offerings by other dragons of this northern region.

"Greetings Friends," the huge, old dragon moved from the shadows into view.

His large frame was still strong looking, despite his ancient age, but what made him stand out were the wonderful, pale-green of the scales on his underside, and the deep, forest-green on his legs and wings. But it was his eyes that startled us all, for they were milky white with no slitted pupil showing at all; the Oracle was blind!

Stepping forward and looked right at us. "She has sacrificed much in sending you to me, but that is the way it is to be," he spoke softly with an enigmatic sadness.

The statement puzzled me, as the journey, though challenging, was not that troublesome.

"Settle now friends, and let me answer your query. These craft that have taken the freedom from your Father, you would know more of them? The ones that hold him?" We stared at one another, incredulous. He knew all about our quest, and us, but then he was the Oracle!

"They call themselves Annunaki, the Earth Mother knows of them! Raping and robbing her riches. She will not tolerate them long!" He raised his head, as if listening. "They have established several cities, the nearest far to the southwest, between two mighty rivers. Nippur is the city of the self-titled, warrior God, Enlil. You could not have picked a more deadly opponent to go up against!" He stopped, looking at us again. "Do not waste your lives, in the pursuit of that one! Let time do the damage, and let the Earth Mother take her revenge. But I fear that once you return home you will not heed my warning, for your own Mother now lies slain by the very hand of Enlil, Lord of the Annunaki!"

I reeled in horror and disbelief.

Stormwing let out a howl of rage and sorrow, while Icefire just sat and wept huge tears, feeling the truth of his words.

She knew that he was coming for her, which is why she sent us away. She had sacrificed much. I beat my head and gnashed my teeth, at the futility of her gesture. I made to dash from the cave, but was stopped in my tracks by the Oracle barring my exit.

"STOP!" he commanded, "I will not allow you passage, young dragon. For your Mother was dear to me! She cherished you enough to send you to me, in her darkest hour of need! So you shall remain here with me, and learn a few tricks, possibly enough to outwit the beast Enlil and his wingmen. Sleep young one!" I collapsed to the floor and I dreamed of Mother.

                                                                                                      *

I looked down as if from afar, unable to move. I saw the distant mountains tremble at the passing of a giant, silver ship moving slowly, almost gracefully, through the air. Ahead stood our mountain home, and in the cave mouth stood Mother, wings spread wide in defiant rage!

The ship hovered in the valley and from an opening, poured a swarm of small silver craft. Mother took to the wing and dived into the valley, pulling tight rolls and twists, as stabs of light darted past her. She swatted one craft midflight and sent it spinning into another, causing an explosion of flame and light.

She fought valiantly but soon tired of the fight and with one wing badly damaged, plummeted to the ground, with a mighty crash.

The large ship landed nearby, and from it a group of men ran forward, long spiked weapons at the ready. One ran too close, and though badly wounded, Mother snapped him up in one bite, his scream dying as quickly as he did. A striking figure strode forward, dressed extravagantly, in a golden tunic and boots. His face chiseled and angular with a cruel beauty, with long black hair tied back using golden wire. A pair of small curved ivory horns protruded from his forehead.

He stepped up to Mother and placed a boot on her snout, her eye rolled wildly, she was obviously unable to move. With a click of his fingers, one of the others ran forward, bearing a long sliver lance. He knelt and passed it reverently to his Lord.

He pulled a small lever and light danced along the blade, crackling and hissing hotly. I watched on horrified, unable to turn, as he proceeded to thrust the weapon into her side and slowly split my Mother open. Her innards, hot and steaming, spilled out onto the frozen ice, Enlil reached inside the warm cavity and ripped out Mother's still beating heart! Gore dripping from his elbows as he held it aloft in triumph.

The light quickly died in my poor Mother's eyes; she suffered no more. I screamed in agony for her, trapped in my dream. I drank in every detail of this Enlil, burning his image into my mind for all eternity. I began to scream, and screaming I awoke in  the cave, which still rang with the echo of my cry. Trembling in rage and grief, I related the dream to the oracle and my kin. The words spilled out in fits and starts, my mind reeling.

"Settle, Snowthorn. Rest and sleep the dreamless sleep."

The Oracle's words soothed my mind, sending me drifting off in an unnaturally calm and peaceful sleep.