Chapter Two: Brotherly Nervous

Early Monday morning, I rummaged through my closet to find clothes for school. All the rest of Saturday and Sunday I had avoided Avery, but today was Monday, and we had to walk to school together. I wasn't looking forward to it, especially because I wasn't sure if I could trust myself. I had mixed emotions at the time, and I didn't want to make a fool of myself.

I pulled my shirt over my head and fixed my jeans. My mind never stayed on one thing, and it wasn't letting me catch up. I could hear Avery fumbling around in his room, loudly knocking things over. He's such a nuisance, I thought.

Leaving my hair down, I slipped on my converse and slung my bag over my shoulder. With a sigh, I left my room and went downstairs, outside on the front porch. I sat in one of the chairs, resting my head in my hands. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't think of anything to say to Avery. What was I going to do?

"Let's go."

The deep voice startled me. I whipped my head around, only to see Avery standing in the doorway, a blank look on his face. His bag was in his hands, and he looked down, not at me. He started down the few stairs, continuing to the sidewalk.

"Um... Yeah," I mumbled, slowly standing up. I hurriedly caught up to Avery, not wanting to be left behind.

Avery and I walked side by side, me closer to the street. Neither of us said a word, which was very awkward. I stole a glance at Avery, watching as his eyes went from the ground to in front of him and back. Avery wasn't a quiet person, and he definitely didn't waste an opportunity at insulting me. He probably was thinking things over a thousand times like I was.

Halfway to our school, Avery randomly started giggling. When I look at him, he stopped, a small smile on his face. Giving him a look, I turned to look ahead of me again, getting that awkward feeling. Not two minutes later, Avery started giggling again. We went through the process again, me looking, him stopping, me confused. We were silent for a while, until Avery giggled yet again.

Working up my nerve, I got in Avery's way, forcing him to stop. I put hands on my hips, leaning on one leg."Okay, what's up with you, Avery? Why do you keep giggling?" I never meant for my first words to Avery after two days to be so evil sounding, but he got on my nerves. He should have been used to it anyway.

Avery gave me his trademark smirk, just staring at me. I felt the urge to just punch him, but at the same time, I wanted to squeeze him.

After a long silence, Avery started to walk by me, saying,"You're one messed up girl, Autumn."

I stood there in disbelief, total shock on my face. After two days, that what he has to say to me? My mouth was ajar, and I listened as Avery's footsteps sounded farther and farther away.

I licked my teeth, slowly nodding my head."Well played, Avery." I crossed my arms."Well played."

"I'm telling you, Ellie, I'm going insane."

Ellie tried her best to keep up with my speed walk through the school hallways. I told her about my kiss with Avery and how I felt about the situation, which was hard since I wasn't sure of it. We were headed for our next class together, and we were close to being late. We turned a corner and entered math class, still talking.

"You're not insane," Ellie said, taking her seat.

"I belong in a mental institution," I said, sitting next to her. I watched as other students came in and took their seats systematically. Corey was in the mix, and he quickly took the seat next to me.

"Hey, Autumn," Corey said awkwardly, smiling. He looked past me, his face neutral."Hi, Ellie."

"Hey, Corey," I said, a small smile on my face. Ellie only smiled and waved, and I mentally smacked myself.