Chapter 1

I think its fair to say that May 17, 2016 is absolutely the hottest day in HISTORY. The roads and side walks were scorching hot, I mean you could pretty much cook an egg on them both! Slowly I pulled out my phone to check the temperature. 102 degrees! unbelievably hotter than expected. All of a sudden my phone starts buzzing and three big bold letters that spell "Dad" pops up on the screen.

"Claire Louise Anderson!"

"Yea dad?"

"Young lady, why are you not home yet! It is almost a quarter after three and I need to make sure you are home so that your mom and I can leave to go run some errands!"

" You don't need to yell every time we talk, and I am 15 years old! I am capable of getting home safely by myself without you worrying. I'm in high school now and I am not a baby, and in case you hadn't noticed, the school is 3.2 miles away from the house so I wont be home till like 3:30 to 4 o'clock so just leave already! " He stayed silent for a full 3 minutes. My dad and I never get along, which I would really like to change but I don't know if that will ever happen because he never gives anything a chance. I had managed to get everyone around me to stare in my direction. I didn't know if I had went to far.

"Who said I was worried about someone I wished was never born most of the time." The line went dead. He had hung up before I could even provide an answer to what he had just said. I broke down right in front of everyone but not enough to let them know that the situation was deeply depressing. I sat down on the shady curb to rest a little from what had just happened and also from the heat.

I don't know how long I was sitting there for, but it felt good to relax like that and let the world and all of my worries just roll off of my shoulders for a while. Finally I picked up my phone and checked the time. It was already 4 o'clock and I had to get home, especially since I was getting a little dehydrated from the heat. Minutes passed and I came to the split in the road. Either I go the longer way where I am by the main road (safer), or I go the quicker way which is a back road with less people or close to none(less safe). Of course I would take the shorter way even though its a little scarier and less safe than the longer path. I start my way down the path and put my earphones in to listen to the new music I had just bought off the app store. I have no idea why but listening to music helps me cope with everything.

I turned the corner on Butter Mint Lane and the trees that lined the alley way blocked my view from everything.  I couldn't see anyone or anything. It made me feel really free for no reason, and I smiled, closed my eyes and stopped at the side of the alley just to breathe. The amazing smell of a campfire was in the air and it made me think of the times when my family was actually a family. All of a sudden, I felt an arm wrap tightly around my neck, and the other hand held a rag up over my mouth and my nose. I started to struggle and kick my legs to try to hit the person doing this to me. I was panicking because I have no idea what was happening. not even ten seconds later, I started getting dizzy and lightheaded, and My vision was starting to blur. Everything got super fuzzy. Quickly, just like that, I had passed out.