eight

Harry's eyes went to the ring on her hand and the smallest of smiles pulled at his lips, "You're wearing my ring."

Carter wanted to laugh at how randomly and calmly he'd said those four words, "I never should have given it back in the first place."

The green in his eyes lightened and Carter could finally breathe. He wasn't done with her anymore, or at least, he wasn't mad or pushing her away for the moment.

"Stop crying sweetheart, c'mere."

Harry opened his arms and Carter fell into them without hesitation, breathing in his familiar cologne and melting into his embrace; she was home.

Carter mumbled into his skin, "Please don't leave me. I don't want to let you go."

She felt his lips on the top of her head and his arms tighten slightly around her, "I'm here as long as you want me, Carter. As long as you want me."

The door clicked shut behind her as she spoke in a near whisper, "Forever. I want you forever."

"Then forever you will have me."

Silence filled the room for countless minutes, each of them regaining their breath and listening to one another's heartbeat.

After a while Harry asked in a slightly amused tone, "Where did you put his ring?"

Carter laughed and pulled herself back so that she could look at him, "I threw it across the room."

Harry was highly amused by that his eyebrows quirking and his eyes lighting up, "You didn't." It was more of a statement than a question and it made each of them laugh because they each knew that she most certainly did.

"I did."

Harry dropped his arms to hold her hands between them, his eyes calm and full of adoration as he looked down at her, "Did you really mean it when you said that you chose me?"

Carter nodded without hesitation, "I did, but I haven't ended it yet because I can't do it over the phone and I can't be heartless about it, Harry. But I did mean it and I do choose you."

Harry hesitated to ask, "Would it be easier for you if I stayed away until you tell him?"

Carter shook her head quickly, that was the last thing she wanted him to do. "No! No, I need to figure out how to do it without being heartless about it and without it being public, but I don't want to feel like you're leaving again."

Harry smiled softly and nodded briefly, "Okay, whatever you want. Promise not to change your mind and leave me?"

He detached their hands and held up his pinkie, his lips quirking up in a small smile, "Promise?"

Carter nearly beamed as she stuck her pinkie out and looped it through his, "I promise. By the way...happy anniversary, Harry."

Harry's eyebrows knit together in confusion briefly before it dawned on him, "You're right. Happy anniversary, Carter. I'm sorry that I made you cry so much."

Carter laughed and he laughed with her, "No, I needed it and so did you."

Harry took her by surprise, leaning in and pressing his lips to hers sweetly. He gently pushed her hair back from her face and smiled, "I love you."

Carter smiled like she had never left in the first place, "I love you too."

. . .

"Is he picking you up when we land?"

Carter shook her head; Jacob had given her the work excuse before they even boarded the plane. "No, he's working."

Harry smiled because that meant that he could spend more time with her, "Can I take you out for dinner then?"