Chapter 5: I've fallen

(Light's POV)

I was somewhere on the edge between being asleep and being awake. I was awake enough to be conscious of my surroundings, but not able to really control any part of my body.

So it was weird when I felt myself being picked up, most likely by Ryuzaki. I felt him pick me up and hold me close to his chest, and start walking to who knows where. On instinct, I wrapped my arms around him, cuddling into his chest. My head was resting right where his heart was, and I could hear steady thump thump of it.

I pressed my head against his chest as best as I could, using the calming sound of his heart to lull me to sleep completely. I felt Ryuzaki kiss the top of my forehead, and with that, I was asleep.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(One week later) (Ryuzaki's POV)

It's been a busy week, but it's been worth it. We have finally caught Kira. Thank goodness it wasn't Light... But a notebook? How were we outsmarted by someone with a notebook as their weapon...?

"Please take the notebook to the helicopter as planned," I directed through the microphone.

"Y-Yes," Mogi replied, standing up and stumbling over to the helicopter.

I took the notebook from Mogi, one of the task force members, and held it up to my eyes. I slowly looked back over to where the Chief and Mogi were, and then I saw it. The Shinigami. It truly was monstrous.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(Third person POV)

"It's a... Shinigami... isn't it? They... really... do exist..." Ryuzaki gasped.

His mind flooded with different thoughts all at the same time- all were about Kira and the Second Kira.

'Light Yagami... notebook... our notebooks in Aoyama... Love at first sight...'

"Ryuzaki, let me see it!" Light said, but Ryuzaki didn't hear him. So instead, Light pulled the notebook away from Ryuzaki.

'Two notebooks!' Ryuzaki concluded. 'There has to be two!'

He looked down, at the notebook, realizing he wasn't holding it anymore. Hesitantly, he looked up and over at Light-kun, seeing him looking at the notebook. Out of nowhere, Light started screaming.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(Light's POV)

I started screaming as the memories rushed back, everything I had forgotten about the Death Note now coming back. From the very first moment I had picked it up, to now.

I stopped screaming after who knew how long, as the memories stopped flashing. It was like watching your life flash before your eyes when you die- the only exception, I'm not planning on dying anytime soon.

"Are you okay?" Ryuzaki asked from the seat next to me. "I suppose anyone would be scared from that monster. 'He doesn't know... perfect.'

"Ryuzaki," I replied.

"Yes?"

"I'm going to match the names in here to the victims."

"Huh? Oh... of course."

I could feel his eyes piercing through my skull as he looked at me from behind, while I grinned like a madman. Probably because I was one.

'Finally!' I thought. 'I've won. I've finally won just like planned.'

I thought back to the forest, with Ryuk and Rem. I remember handing around the Death Note, then instructing them on what to do. All I have to do now is kill Higuchi without letting go of the notebook, and then I'll be the owner again. I'll be Kira.