Chapter 3 Finally Home

Kian's POV

I grab my carry-on from the overhead compartment and head for the exit. "Finally home," I think to myself. I am a day earlier than planned, but I don't care. I am ready to be home. I walk to the car that is waiting for me. As we pull up to the gated community that JC and I live in, I give a sigh. I missed my home. The driver pulls into our driveway, I step out of the car and grab my bags. I pull out my keys and begin to unlock the front door. I hear JC, but also, some unfamiliar voices, too. I enter the house to see JC and two girls I've never met.
"Hey man" JC exclaims
I walk over to JC, grab his hand and pull him into a hug.

"Kian, I'd like you to meet Lilyen and Carter. They just moved in down the street"
We all introduce ourselves. Then JC suggests ice cream. Obviously, we're all down for it. The girls fix their bowls, then JC and I go. I notice the flower-crown that Carter is wearing.
"I dig your flower-crown" I say matter-of-factly.
"Oh, thanks. I have quite the multitude at home." She says.
"Really? I have a bunch too. You wanna go check them out?"
"Sure."
I motion for Carter to follow me and begin up the stairs and a round the corner to my room.
"Make yourself at home." I say as I walk to the bathroom. I open the drawer to the left of my sink and grab all of my flower-crowns. I hold them in a large heap as I bring them into my room to show Carter. When I walk in Carter is sitting on the corner of my bed.
"These are my babies." I say as I spread them out in front of her.
"Dude! These are amazing!"
"Thanks. So what are you into besides flower-crowns"
"Um... Well, I'm an aspiring travel blogger, I love to read, and I'm a triathlete. What about you?"
"I'm a YouTuber who likes to have fun. That about sums me up. Do you board?"
"I do. I have a penny board."
"Does your board have a name?"
"Not yet. I want to give it a little longer. I just got my new board the day after I moved here."
"When was that?"
"Thrusday."
"Wow! Where did you move from?"
"Savannah Beach, Georgia"
"What brings you here?"

"A long list of things. But, mostly adventure, and the fact that California has more job opportunities."

"I get that."

"How many tattoos do you have?"

"A lot. Want to see?"

"Sure"

I slide the sleeves of my shirt up to show her the tattoos on my arms.

"They're beautiful"

"Thanks. Do you have any?"

""I do actually." She slides her left sleeve up about two inches revealing a small outline of the state of Georgia with a heart inside of it.
"It reminds of how my family is with me not matter where I go. Lil has a globe on her wrist. We got them together on her eighteenth birthday. These," she starts as she pulls the side of her shirt up just above her ribcage. It's colorful, very vibrant. The rectangle flags are full of beauty. I recognize a few I them, Brazil, Spain, Japan, amongst others, but there are about six more. There are also little stamps next to each flag.
"These are the flags of the countries I've been to. The passport stamps have to date that I arrived there. I have a huge map on my back, too."

"Those are awesome!"

"Thanks" she says, her cheeks turing rosey.

I hear a slight buzz and check my phone. It's not mine.

"So, where all have you gone?" I ask curiously.

"I went to Brazil for my senior trip. I backpacked the Amazon. It was pretty cool. I went to Italy, France, and Germany for a short study abroad session during the summer after my sophomore year. Japan was a trip for my sister. I went to Kenya and Ethiopia to build water wells with my church. Honduras, Ecuador, and Nicaragua I volunteered to help with some summer camps. Spain was a leisure trip."

"That's cool. So, you like to volunteer?"

"I like to help people. If that means volunteering, then yes. If I could find a job that pays to do that, I would jump on the offer'"

"It's really awesome that you want to help people."

"Thanks, but really, it's not a big deal."

We continue talking about anything and everything. Next thing I know Carter has dozed off, and I'm finding myself close behind.

§

I wake up to light peaking through the binds over the couch that Carter and I fell asleep on. She is adorable when she is asleep. I sit up and rub the sleep from my eyes. A growl rumbles from my stomach. I don't want to just leave her, so I'll leave a note.

I didn't want to wake you. You're cute when you sleep. I made breakfast and coffee. - Kian

I walk down the carpeted stairs of my home, thinking about what u should cook. "I wonder what's in the fridge?" I think to myself. When I leave JC home alone for long periods of time, I come home to find odd things in the fridge. I arrive in the kitchen and open the fridge. Eggs, bacon, and coffee. Sounds perfect. I walk to the cabinet and remove two pans and a bowl. I crack 4 eggs into the bowl, mix them, then pour the liquid into the hot pan. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the pan sears. Gosh this smells good. I place the food on plates and pour two cups of coffee. I walk to the table and set the places. I hear footsteps.

"Good morning. How'd you sleep?" I ask when I see Carter come around the corner.

"I slept great. Thanks for the food, but I have to go. Lil is never going to let me hear the end of this."
Carter says making her way to the door, leaving me disappointed. I understand though. The door shuts and then it hits me: I didn't get her phone number. I swiftly slide out of my seat and rush through the door trying to catch her before she leaves. I get the the window of the car and knock lightly. Carter rolls down the window.

"I didn't get your number."

"Well, let's fix that." She says smoothly, handing me her phone. We exchange numbers then she drives away. I like her. A lot.