The School of Heroes

Loosely based off a dream I had.

Guess which parts are from the dream.

-~•~-

"Adrianna! NO!" I heard a boy shout. All around me were chains. Around my wrists and ankles, tightening around my torso, loosely around my neck.

"Who are you? Help! Please help me!" I yelled back, my fear rising. The boy shouted my name again, and I heard running. Someone, or something, was getting closer. It was getting hard to breathe. "Help," I strangled out, the chains around my neck getting tighter. The door in front of me opened, revealing a boy with purple hair. He looked panicked, but relief washed across his emotions when he saw me. He rushed towards me, but it was too late. Just as the boy reached me, the chains all tightened simultaneously, and I died.

I sat up, taking a large breath of air. I'd been having the same dream for a week now, and it was starting to scare me. "Good morning sweetie! It's your first day at your new school!" My mum chirped as she opened the blinds.

I flopped back down into my pillow. "I don't want to go, mum," I groaned out.

She sighed, sitting on my bed. "Adrianna, I know you don't want to go, but you have to. It's not like you're going to die," she murmured, petting her hand through my hair.

I sighed, sitting back up. "Fine, I'll be down in five minutes," and with that, she rushed back out of the room, humming some kind of upbeat tune.

I walked over to my iPod dock, hitting play. It started on Hero, by Christopher Wilde. I sung quietly along to it, picking out my clothes to wear. I settled on a dark pair of jeans and a light blue shirt, throwing my leather jacket on over the top. After slipping on my sneakers, I ran downstairs with my iPod, putting it into my pocket.

"I'm gonna pop some tags, got my iPod in my pocket!" I sang loudly, and badly.

"Shut up Adrianna," my older sister yelled down the stairs.

I ignored her, heading for the cereal cupboard and pouring the cereal into a bowl. I walked over to the table with my bowl as said sister, Alexis, walked down the stairs.

"Ew, you're eating cereal without milk again? That's seriously gross, Anna," she announced, degrading my breakfast choices not for the first time.

"It's seriously gross that you kiss boys!" I retorted, mocking her. She stuck out her tongue at me, ending the conversation.

After I finished my breakfast, I dragged my feet around as I got my things for school. "Stay positive, Anna! This is an exciting chance, your friends in Australia will want to know!" Mum encouraged me.

As much as I loved her, sometimes her enthusiasm was tiring. "Mum, calm down. It's just school," I replied, already tired. Even after two weeks, jet-lag was still running heavily in my system, making my sleeping pattern completely messed up.

Mum decided to drive Alexis and I to our new school. "It's so exciting that you get to come here, girls!" she exclaimed on the way there. I made an affirmative noise, focusing on game I was playing on my iPod. If I wasn't on my iPod, you'd probably find me on my computer. It was pretty much one or the other.

The school was huge. I faintly remembered mum telling us how it was a kindergarten to year 12 school. It was divided in the way American schools were divided, with a part for elementary, middle and high school. There was a line of trees between each school. I waved to Alexis as she headed for the high school part, which she ignored. I sighed, pulling my bag back onto my shoulder, and headed for the middle school grounds.

Almost immediately three girls came up to me. "Hi!" They chorused. "We've been assigned to help you settle in, so you're in all of our classes," one of them, who was blonde, explained.