1 - Dreams do come true

1

                                                                            MAXINE

   I was having a good dream when my mom knocked aloud in my room's door. That just ruined my short gratification of spending a beach date with my celebrity crush, even just in my dreams.

   "Maxine, tanghali na. May balak ka bang pumasok?" Eto na nga po mama oh, bumabangon na.

   I ate breakfast, bathe, wore my uniform and rode a jeep and arrived at school on time.

                                                                                 ***

   "Ermegherd! Kasama ako!" I saw my classmate, Sheryl jumping happily around the classroom when I was chatting with my groupmates for our report in Science. That made us stopped from what we are doing as curiosity travels in our minds.

   "Saan ka ba kasama?" My other classmate asked, while taking some notes about the lecture left by our professor minutes ago.

   "It's about the FESP!"

   "FESP?"

   "Duh, Yung Foreign Exchange Student Program that our school conducted. Hahaha, I just can't wait which country they'll sent me!" And Sheryl continues being hyperactive while our other classmates (who don't know about the program) asked her what it is all about.

   Actually, I also signed for the program. It was the first time they conveyed this. The program aims strengthen the bond about the institution's partner institutions around the world. The school management will get four students as an exchange of welcoming four other students from other schools. The countries included in this project are London, England, Korea, and Philippines. The program will be conducted on Friday this week, and I just hope that I could be one of the lucky students they will pick.

   "Hey Maxi, what about the sample experiment in the book, are we going to explain it?" My classmate-slash-best friend Raine shows me the illustration I told them we'll use.

   "Nah, I don't think so. 'Di naman natin kailangan pa gawin iyon. Come on, let's fix our chairs." We all faced front as our Physics teacher comes.

   'Okay, isang epic na report na naman.'

                                                                                ***

   Riiing. Ah, the sound of music in the ears of students, uwian na,.

   The school speakers (yes, our school is just awesome like that) announce something  about the upcoming events in our school, also the students selected for the exchange program.

   "At eto na, the chosen students for the Foreign Exchange Students Program! I-aannounce din namin ang tatlo pang students na kapalit niyo. Ready na ba kayo?" And every student at school cheers as they anticipate for the names the announcer will say. Siyempre, isa na ako doon.

   "Raine Hoian, exchange student for London. Ashley Mittens from London will be sent... dito sa school natin!" Shock can be seen from my friend's face.

   "Congrats, Raine! Kasama ka!" I hugged her as she tries to oversome her former feelings. Our fellow schoolmates clapped as well as they heard the first person sent by out school. Hula ko yung mga boys, chini-cheer nila yung darating na girl.

   The announcer told the following, Bryan Kent from USA will be sent here in exchange of Janiah Cortez (my neighbor / seatmate) and  George Whitman from England will be sent here in exchange of Sherilyn Arenina ("Yes! Favorite country ko pa talaga!"). I was losing hope when they announced that and I haven't heard my name. I held Raine's hand and was trying to pry her off from the crowd.

   "Tara na. Alis na tayo."

   "Wait lang, dre. 'Di pa sinasabi yung last student for the exchange program." I know right, that's why I don't want to hear, I'm afraid it's not my name.

   "And the last student is Maxine Alfonso, exchange student for Korea. JongUn (Steve) Kim will be in her place."

   Wow.

   Totally wow.

   Ermegherd, dapat na ba akong magsaya?

   "Friend! Close your mouth, daming langaw na naka-abang oh." Raine's statement totally made me shut my mouth, as I heard the announcer tells the chosen students to go to the Principal's office for some briefing about the program.

                                                                                 ***

A/N: Alam ko pong maikli, pero susubukan ko na habaan sa susunod na chapter. :D