OFF THE STAGE: TAVI GEVINSON

Tavi Gevinson is pretty legendary

Tavi Gevinson is pretty legendary. At the age of 11, she became a hugely successful fashion blogger, scoring invites to couture shows in New York City and Paris. She didn't stop there! By 15, she launched , an online magazine and print publication for teenage girls. It's become an amazing space for expression, self-discovery, and getting your voice heard.

Now 19, Tavi continues to share her message of authenticity. She's super open about her feelings on topics ranging from feminism to mental health. It was so incredible to have her share some inspiring words with the WE Day audience this year!

So, before she hit the stage, we caught up backstage and learned more from this unstoppable writer, actress, and editor in chief.

This is your first time at WE Day! What are your thoughts so far?

It's really exciting to see so many young people who are all this passionate and seeing that they're being taken seriously by adults.

You have such a rad story. What gave you the confidence to chase your dreams at a young age?

I think at that age one way to challenge myself was to put myself out there. Chronicling my style would force me to take risks. There were other people who identified with what I was doing and that showed me there would be an audience and a space for something like Rookie, and that I wasn't alone in wanting this kind of publication for teenagers.

 There were other people who identified with what I was doing and that showed me there would be an audience and a space for something like Rookie, and that I wasn't alone in wanting this kind of publication for teenagers

You have such an awesome career

You have such an awesome career. What advice do you have for a young person who has a lot of big dreams, but might be struggling to put themselves out there?

You really just have to go for it. It's like exercising a muscle. Writing a little bit every day or trying to take a photo every day. I think it's like when you build it up in your mind that you feel locked or you put pressure on yourself but you really have nothing to lose. I think the people I know who lead the happiest lives are the people taking risks, challenging themselves and leaving no stone left unturned. So it's just a matter of doing it, and you might look back and feel embarrassed or something, but everything is a stepping stone.

 So it's just a matter of doing it, and you might look back and feel embarrassed or something, but everything is a stepping stone

A lot of us experience key moments that inspire us to care about social issues and the people around us. What would you describe as your ME to WE moment?

Every time we have a Rookie event like a book signing or when someone is talking about what they've been going through. I just want to know how we can alleviate some of the inherent loneliness of growing up and learning how to be a person in the world. So, I mean there have been a lot of really special moments where I've talked to someone. One thing I hear a lot when people come to my talks is that they're grateful that I talk openly about mental health. I'm lucky to have been raised in a community where there wasn't a lot of stigma around mental illness. It is always your instinct to cover up whatever seems unsavory or something that is almost like a blemish. I just realized that the more you show those, then the more other people feel safe and you feel more comfortable and like yourself.

Three quick questions: last book your read, one song you're obsessed with and your dream travel destination.

The Lover by Marguerite Duras. Love Myself by Hailee Stienfeld. Iceland.

Thanks Tavi! If you care about mental health and girl power, too, then check out our daily challenges on We365.