III: The Next

Thank you so much NezzaMesserXx for the amazing banner! Feel free to check it out guys! :) I'm really happy with how all the covers turned out! Hope you enjoy! :)

----

III: The Next:

After Maethusela finished telling his story I headed back to the kitchen. Twindle was cooking a batch of new meat. There were small piles of carcasses from the traps lying about the kitchen.

"Hey deary, where you be headin'?" She asked stirring a large pot of stew. They hadn't had meat in a while, the Hunters got first pick of the catch. They were the ones that needed it the most. We all had our jobs to do, theirs was what kept the rest of us alive. I tried to keep my thoughts of blue eyed Lumen, and brightly lit cities to myself, but something about those thoughts kept slipping back into my head. She had talked to me. It had talked to me. Could it really be that bad? I turned to Twindle and apologized for my empty-headedness. "I'm off to train." I explained afterwards hoping it would be the last of it.

To my never-ending relief, it was.

I headed towards the training hall, but not before long I veered off the path towards the Lumen. I wouldn't be able to concentrate if I didn't at least know something. I had a thousand questions and no one to ask, no one to ask openly anyway. I walked closely to the wall, it was best not to be caught fraternizing with the enemy. The pathway was as dim as ever. The walls were jagged, unlike the rest of the Clave which was smooth and worn. I tried to ignore the flickering shadows, it was difficult-difficult but not impossible. I reached near the end of the corridor, there was no voice, no sound, and very little light. I walked swiftly, it made me feel nauseous, but I kept going. I reached the end to find the cage empty. My heart fluttered, panic. It drove my every move, I felt as though my head might float away, I was dizzy, my heart raced.

I dashed back towards the training room, we were allowed there anytime. I couldn't help my clumsy step, I tripped and fell. The soft worn ground was cold against my cheek, I felt my bones crash against the hard surface. It was not hard enough to bruise, but hard enough that it would ache much later.

"Ten!" I heard a familiar voice yell from across the main cross way. Sprig.

"I'm fine." I said finding my feet. "You don't have to yell." I groused. I knew I should've been glad he was concerned, but I was disoriented and grumpy.

"Alright." Sprig said holding up his hands in mock defense. I wasn't amused, but I felt bad for being so hard on him.

"Sorry." I said relenting.

"That's alright." Sprig said smiling. "Good to have you back, did you slay the grouchy dragonly beast?" He jested.

"Knock it off." I laughed trying to remain serious.

"And she's back!" He said grinning from ear to ear. He was normally so reserved and calm. Something was off.

"What's gotten into you?" I asked unsure of this new stranger Sprig.

"Just a good day I guess." He said shrugging.

"Nope, that's definitely not it." I said, unwilling to let it be.

"Fine, I made it." He said grinning even more now.

"Made what?" I asked clearly clueless.

"I made it into the Hunters." He said his excitement brimming.

"Congratulations." I said as solemnly as I could with a grin plastered on my face. "If anyone deserves it it's you." I said knowing it wasn't true. I was happy for my friend, but I worried about him too. He cared too much to become a Hunter, but I let it be. He was strong and he would manage.