Chapter 16: To Be Continued

Dave

I decided to go visit Bully in jail before I started this tour. I had a lot to tell him. I would've came sooner, but I've been really busy. After going through security they showed me to a seat with the glass and telephone. This felt too familiar taking me back to when I served 6 months back in Bmore. No matter the amount of time I'd never wish jail on anybody who hasn't committed a real crime. He finally came out.

"Dave, my brotha!" He said picking the phone up.

"Bully, how ya holding up?"

"Holding in there. I heard a lot of good things are happening for you. I heard how Hate Me Now did."

"Yeah, I wish you could've been there while it all happened. I signed a publishing deal with Def Jam Records. I just wanted to visit you before I left out on this mini tour they funded."

"I heard about that. I'm proud of you. I guess you really don't need me as a manager after all. You're doing fine without me."

"Not true at all. We did this shit together, Bully! I just don't understand why you would take the fall for that. You know how many years you can get if you're found guilty? I need you man."

Even though I had my dad in my life, I considered Bully like another father figure. When nobody saw my vision and my potential he did. It took me awhile to take rap serious and get out of the streets, but when I did he was waiting on me. We did this together. We started the campaign 'Who is Dave East?' and said we weren't going to stop until everybody knew who I was. He got me on every radio station he could, so I could freestyle. We both knew Nas' brother from around Queensbridge, but I wasn't going to force it down his throat to tell his brother. He heard it on his own and let Nas listen to it. Nas and I built a friendship then I decided to sign with him. I owed Bully everything.

"Dave, everything is going to be okay."

"How much is your bail? Trey said he would pay it but I don't know about that."

"10% of 50k."

"5k? You're telling me you've been sitting in jail and Trey hasn't came to get you yet? He definitely got that!"

"I don't want you, him or any of my clients bailing me out. I'm supposed to make you money, not cost you it. No point in posting it now because my court date is in a week. Don't waste your money." Soon the guards were coming to get him. On my way out I was so tempted to pay his bail, but I decided to respect his wishes. I got in my car just sitting there. Why is everybody being taken from me? I'm just hoping he's not found guilty.

Bernice

I was at work not really focused when I picked my cell phone up. I rummaged through my desk looking for the letter my dad sent me when I found it. I unfolded it and dialed the number at the bottom. Somebody finally answered with a thick Jamaican accent. "Hello?"

"Hi" I said nervously.

"May I ask who I'm speaking with?"

"It's Bernice, your uh, daughter." It had been a month since he sent that letter and I'm just now calling.

"Bernice? Oh wow, you actually called. I've been waiting on this day. I would've wrote you a lot sooner being as your 26 now, but I couldn't find you. I got your address from a woman in New York by the name of Janice."

"Yeah, that's my best friends mother. I consider her my mom basically. Since I don't have a relationship with my real mother."

"And why is that?"

"She likes things her way. Very controlling, mentally and even slightly physically abusive. I just got fed up. Before last month I hadn't talked to or seen her in 5 years. Even after all that time she's still the same way."