Chapter 2: Attacked

The sun was already reaching its zenith yet only few of its rays penetrated the thick canopy of trees to reach the forest ground below. Due to the lack of sunlight, there was no vegetation underneath the towering trees. There was only a pile of rotting leaves and twigs filling the forest with the smell of decay. Yet at the heart of this dark, stinking forest flows a magnificent river with clear waters. The water was transparent enough to see the stones and pebbles at its depths. The river was home to many fishes, frogs, crabs and many other aquatic  animals. Unlike the forest ground, the river is brimming with life. It is truly one of nature's hidden beauties.

Three children had the good fortune to discover this natural beauty. Since then, they made the river as their exclusive recreational spot. The river offers them a very tranquil environment. There was nothing to be heard but the smooth flow of the river, the soft rustling of leaves, and the incessant chirping of the birds. They came here every time they needed some space to think. And now they're here to enjoy the first days of their summer vacation.

Luther is the eldest of these three children. Though his twin brother, Arthur, refuse to acknowledge this because Luther, as a matter of fact, is only born minutes before Arthur. The two of them would have been impossible distinguish from each other if not for their hair. Luther got their mother's chocolate brown hair while his brother got their father's jet black locks. As much as they looked alike, they actually have very different personalities.

Luther was the more passive of them two. He is usually found with a book on hand. Books give him the excitement that they lack in their simple boring life being isolated in that forest. He and Arthur have very few friends. Though Arthur probably have a little bit more friends than Luther does. Most of their friends live in the town located at the edge of the forest, less than five miles from their house. Arthur, on the other hand, was more of a risk taker. He have a knack in finding trouble. And most of the time, he has his brother as an accomplice. With them working together, they were almost never caught which proves that their different personalities didn't matter. They are the perfect partners in crime.

Roxanne was the youngest of the three with the age of 12 years old. Her brothers are two years ahead of her and they preferred to call her Roxy or sometimes just Rox. She, like Luther, got their mother's wavy chocolate hair. She always carry with her an aura of freshness and liveliness. She is oozing with positive energy. She have a beautiful smile that seems to be painted on her face that her brothers always try to obliterate, but they fail to do so every so often.

The three siblings decided to utilize their first day of summer vacation by the river. Luther, sitting  under tree, watched as Arthur taught Roxanne how to fish.

"Oh! I think a fish took the bait," Roxanne squealed in delight.

Arthur stood closer to her. "Okay. Slowly, try to get it out of the water."

Roxanne was delighted. "I think it's big! It is the first fish ever that I caught and it's a big one! I'm gonna gill it and eat it all by myself!" And with a final thug, Roxanne managed get it out of the water. Her smile instantly turned into a frown. There, at the end of her line, was no fish. Instead, she caught a rotting log.

Arthur instantly burst out laughing. "Have fun grilling your log! And you can eat it all by yourself!" Then he burst out laughing again.

Roxanne glared at his brother who was now rolling on the grass, clutching his stomach and laughing his lungs out. She walked towards Luther who eyed her innocently as if he haven't seen what happened, but she knew better. She knew that Luther was trying very hard to conceal his laughter. And when she sat next to him, he couldn't hold his it any longer. He let out a soft laugh which he instantly stopped when Roxanne gave him a death glare.