Preface

"My mother was a thief" I yell madly smashing my fists upon the oakwood tabletop.

The Elders look at me disapprovingly. There are three of them dressed in ivy green robes, their hoods are down so I can see their faces clearly, yet I already know them from recent affairs. The one in the middle- a short blonde haired woman- takes a step forward. "Miss Daggers please sit down" she says while using hand movements to direct me to a brown fragile looking seat in the far left corner of the room. I walk across the room and make my way to the seat later sitting down. The elders turn around to face me in order to finish our conversation. Then the man standing to the left of her begins to speak.

He says: "Miss Daggers, 600 years ago you told us that your mother stole something very important from you...is this correct?" I nod.

"Yes" I say "Yes I did." I did recall saying that to the Elders many years ago and I remember it very clearly. At the time this happened the Elders would not believe my plea and I had decided to resort to other options. (But resulted with complete utter fail.)

"Well" he begins "On that same day, later during night, we decided on trialing your mother and asking her a range of questions on this object you say she had stole from you but when we got to your home she was dead on the kitchen floor and you were nowhere to be found." He stops for a moment.
"Is there something you would like to tell us Miss Daggers?"

"No...there is nothing" I say staring at the floorboards beneath my feet. There is something I thought, there is something indeed. I had killed my mother. And I couldn't tell them or tell anyone as a matter as fact. The Elders despise violence and any kind of it but once someone has committed that act the Elders only have two choices, life in the dungeons or death penalty. I did not want the death penalty nor life in the dungeons. So I sat there and said nothing.The three Elders stare at me for a while as if contemplating that I was lying.

Then to my surprise he nods. "OK" he says. "You may go now, we will finish discussing this business later." I stand up and slowly make my way to the door of this somewhat cozy cottage. "In the meantime" he begins. I stop at the door and wait to hear what he says. "Remember... the closer you are to finding something, the closer you are to the truth." I nod and then with a deep breath open the door and walk out into the moonlight.