Second & Sebring or Bust

I woke up with a familiar pounding in my body that echoed in my chest, painful to say the least. I had grown used to the familiar pains after a solid year. It wasn't anything new to see bruises and cuts covering my flesh. I groaned as I stood to my feet, not surprised I collapsed on the couch and made my way to the bathroom, glad Jacob wasn't home. I'd dealt with him enough last night. 

My reflection made me want to vomit to be truthful. My dyed black hair was in a tangled mess on my head, a black and purple bruise formed over my right eye, another bruise on my cheek and jaw. Marks covered my neck, a cut above my eyebrow, more bruises covered my arms and I knew the covered my torso and legs, along with a few cuts there as well. I touched my ribs lightly, flinching as pain shot through them. I took a shower after that, the hot water relaxing my sore and tense body slightly but only aggravating the pain more. After that I pulled my hair back into a waterfall braid, and applied layers of concealer to hide the damages on my face, arms and neck. I applied some foundation, mineral veil and then a little bit of blush so I didn't look like a ghost, even though that was nearly impossible with how tan I was. I swiped on some eye make-up and brushed my teeth. I walked back into my bedroom, pulling out a band t-shirt that I had turned into a cut off and a pair of skinnies. After pulling on my chucks I left the house and headed to town. I sent Austin a quick text. 

Elli: Hey, where are you? I'm out and figured I might as well hang out with you. 

Austin: I'm at Shay's. I'll text you the directions.

Elli: Sounds good.

XX

"What do you mean I can't tell Austin?" Shayley growled.

"Because he doesn't need to know. I'm handling it." I growled back.

"He needs to know!" Shayley whispered, his voice a loud whisper.

"No. He doesn't need to know." I snarled. 

"Who doesn't need to know what?" Austin asked. Both of us jumped.

"Nothing." I hissed glaring at Shayley. He glared back.

Austin looked at us confused. "Oookay?" He shrugged and draped his arm around my shoulders. I bit my lip to stop from crying out in pain. "Do you want to go do something today? Maybe we could go to the beach or something."

"Uh, I-I don't feel up for swimming today. Sorry, maybe some other time?" I said quickly. 

He looked at me oddly. "Okay, what about a movie or something?" 

Why did he have to be so persistent damn it, I wanted to hang out with I really did, but if Jacob found out I was even near him at the moment he'd freak out. I would regret it later, I knew I would but for fucks sake, I hadn't seen my best friend in five years. I would deal with it later, it wasn't that I was afraid of Jacob, I really wasn't. I wasn't afraid of anything, well I afraid of some things, but I wasn't afraid of the person I was claiming to love. That was foolish. "A movie sounds good." I said at last. Austin's face lit up like a little kid on Christmas making me giggle quietly. 

"Disney marathon!" Austin cheered. 

"I might be wrong, I don't think you changed at all." I laughed teasingly. Just like that, Austin and I ended up wrestling each other on the floor, just like we had when we were young only more careful thanks to Austin's condition.

XX

"Oh my god Austin! That's such a lame pick-up line!" 

"What?! No it's not! Think about it! 'How much does a polar bear weigh?' The answer is 'enough to break the ice' because you were probably so star-struck by the person that saying something like that means you're already talking! It's not awkward anymore!" Austin grinned triumphantly.