Pressure

I started for my brother's room. After yesterday, he hasn't been out of it. He was probably just feeling really down. Aileen shouldn't have said that. She should have kept it to herself. She was mad, but that's what happens. People get so angry that they can't control themselves and they just hurt people. I knew that Aileen probably didn't mean to yell at him like that. She knew better, and she was wiser than I was. Then again sometimes the youngest know better.

I was alone as I walked down the narrow hallways, my feet echoing. Silence. It's not golden. It was paranoia if you had my kind of life. No, the Enforcers have never found our hiding spot. They had tried to as I was told. The Convicts just committed suicide. Not the best option in the world, but it protected us from them. It made me wonder if mom...I didn't want to think about it. She was dead. They killed her.

My hand involuntary formed a fist. Anger was never the best way to solve things, but sometimes it helped me fight. I eased the tension in my hand and pulled my jacket sleeves up to my elbow. My feet stayed echoing in the empty corridor. Preston's room was at the end. My mind wouldn't be able to make it all the way there.

First of all, I was too tired to function. It was five thirty in the morning. Waking up early was on the top of my hate list, but Ella would get to me before I could talk to my brother. There were somethings I needed to over with him like the plans and about his leadership. Secondly, the quiet was so irritating. I was used to people around me. I was used to explosions and guns and weapons clashing. When it was this empty, it felt like something was going to attack me. It didn't feel too good, that feeling.

I froze as Preston's door opened. Aileen walked out looking like a mess. Her hair was in knots and her clothes were a little too big. That's because they were my brother's. She walked barefoot through the hall, looking a little fizzled—almost drunk. But she wasn't. There were no drugs here. Nothing at all. Not even wine for those fancy celebrations. She must be going mad. Aileen's eyes widened when she saw me. She quickened her pace and passed me. I just sighed and rolled my eyes at her. She avoided my gaze and kept on walking right past me.

My feet kept on pushing to the door. This time I was running, wondering what had happened in there. I slammed my hands on the door. The door slid open. Preston's hair was a mess too and he was only wearing his boxers. First he was grinning as if he thought I was Aileen. I raised an eyebrow at him and he muttered a curse word. The door closed on me, but in just a second it opened again. Preston came back with pants on.

I pushed him playfully to see if he would let me in. He leaned against the door frame grinning like some sort of hyper little kid.

“I know Aileen hurt your feelings,” I said to him after deciding that he would not let me in. “But it doesn't mean that you have to sleep with her when she apologizes.”

Preston was taken back. He gave me one of those father looks. “How did you--”

“Oh please,” I laughed. “I'm your sister. Also, you should probably make sure that you give Aileen her clothes when she leaves your room at five o'clock in the morning. It's not a huge surprise Romeo. Your little Juliet makes her love for you oh so obvious.”

Preston wiped his hand down his face, “Man. Don't tell dad, okay?”

“Okay, but you have to do me a huge favor in the future. Anyway, I'm here for the plans. What are we going to do and when are we going to do it?”

Preston stopped leaning against the door and motioned for me to come in. I went in and examined the space around me. The bed was a total mess. No surprise there. Some of Aileen's clothes were around the room, and so were some of my brothers. Now I had second thoughts about coming in here. Ew. I started to back away when Preston pulled my arm to exit. Good. I didn't want to step any deeper in this freak fest.