Three

Less proofreading than ever before so once again I apologise as much as is possible for a human to apologise.
******
It had been almost a month since Taylor met Matthew, and although he lived four hours away, in Inverness, he seemed to be spending most of his free time in Low Shore, paying for a room at the only hotel on the island. They'd been out three times, once for breakfast, once for lunch and once for coffee. She wanted to call them dates, but he'd made her pay for herself every time. Not that she minded, she wasn't one to fall for a guy that refused to let girls do their own thing. She did feel guilty, though, that she was seeing other people when the love of her life was on the island and had no idea she really was who he thought she was. But then again, Hunter was also seeing other girls, so it made sense for Taylor to do the same, as much as she wanted to run into Hunter's arms and never leave.

The Bishop's Archway was quiet that night, the only people in the large room were crazy cat lady Janice and Callum, Hunter and Hunter's flavour of the week. Taylor thought her name was Hannah but she couldn't be sure. Those three sat where the boys usually sat, the boys nursing a bottle of beer each and Hannah with a can of Diet Coke. It was no wonder the girl was skinnier than Taylor's pinkie finger; the trio had been there four hours and while the boys ate whenever they were offered, Hannah barely looked at the food, just taking tiny sips of her drink.

Their conversation was hushed but that didn't bother Taylor, she busied herself under the bar, polishing and sorting out the glasses. She was halfway through the middle shelf, reaching for a particularly sad looking pint glass, when an English tipped voice she had come to recognise as familiar rang through the pub. Shaking out the cloth she folded it, placing it over her shoulder, as she rose to her feet, making sure the long sleeved top she wore under her work t-shirt was securely reaching her palms.

A professional smile stretched her lips as she faced the older man, who looked at her with confusion and recognition swirling deep in his oceanic irises.

"Taylor?" He sputtered, eyes wide. He looked as professional as always, athletic body clothed by a well fitted suit, black, of course, his dark blonde hair was slicked back, beard neatly trimmed, and even in the awful lighting of the pub he looked perfect. Too perfect.

"You know him?" Callum's familiar voice questioned, watching the pair intently. His face was curious, if a little suspicious.

"Yeah, we-" Taylor began, smiling slightly, before Matthew's hand reached out to her's, his fingers were cold against her slightly sweaty ones. She flinched at the sudden contact, but Matthew just gripped tighter, and she was left unsure if he didn't notice the movement, or if he chose to ignore it.

"We're together, met a few weeks ago," Matthew interrupted, his eyes dangerously narrow, face impassive.

"We are?" left Taylor's lips at the same time "you are?" left Hunter's. Taylor's panic was high in her chest, and Matthew nodding did nothing to subdue it. When had this happened? They barely knew each other. She locked eyes with Hunter who seemed to have amusement and concern in his eyes, over the past month the pair had grown something close to friends, talking whenever he was in the pub or if they saw each other at college. But looking into this chocolate depths she was reminded of everything they'd been through together, and it took everything in her to look away. She could only wonder if he felt the same.

"What can I get you?" Was the first thing that left Taylor's lips as the silence got too much, her smile slipped back into place, not showing the gap between her teeth. Matthew had told her it was hideous on their second 'date', and since then she'd been careful to hide it.

"Just a can of Coke'll be fine, love," he ordered, smiling back with something wicked in his eyes. His eyes were glued to her arse as she crouched to get his drink, he didn't care just how blatantly obvious he was being. The pair of boys around her age were watching him with disgust in their faces, the shaggy looking one not noticing the way the hot blonde was pawing at his arm.