The Lesson - Edited

Have you ever had a secret that you were too scared to tell someone? One that kept eating you alive until it was impossible to sleep? No? Well, I have. It's not fun because it ate me alive and nearly killed me.

Darkness swept over as my boss turned the lights off. Our coffee shop usually closes at eight, but we decided to stay open a little later today since colleges had finals coming up. I was one of those students. I finished writing a note meant for my parents after I finished writing my Comp 2 essay.

Mrs. Smith said, "Have a nice night, Serenity. I'll see you tomorrow night."

"You too, Mrs. Smith," I replied with a yawn.

She walked to her car and sped off. I never once asked her for a ride because she lives three hours from me. I glanced at the time on my phone to see that it was well past ten. I knew I should've called my parents to come to get me, but I've never done it before. They would probably be sleeping anyway.

During my walk home, I watched my surroundings carefully. I hated being out this late by myself. I heard the breathing of someone and the echo of footsteps. The quietness of this road was scaring me more and more. The footsteps sounded pretty close, so I started walking faster. This reminded me of a night a week ago; the same night that my parents had no clue about and is explained in the note that is burning a hole in my purse.

My pace was fast, almost a jog, but the other footsteps seemed to be even closer. I didn't want anything to happen; I just wanted to get home. Possibly talk my parents into moving or something to get rid of the things that have happened here. I was about to turn on my road when my arm was snatched back.

A deep voice said, "I thought I told you to not tell anyone? You're gonna regret it."

"I...haven't," I muttered weakly.

"Tsk. You're such a liar. What about that note?" He asked while staring down at me with his green eyes.

"I'm sorry, how do you even know about that? Please, just let me go!" I pleaded.

Too bad my words fell on deaf ears as my head hit the pavement beneath me roughly. Blackness overtook me. Shuffles, voices, and sirens were the noises that woke me up. A hand touched my arm causing me to scream and jerk back, which only made my head start pounding with the rhythm of my heart.

The person whose hand was on my arm said, "Miss, we aren't going to hurt you. Please, calm down. We're getting you to a hospital."

I tried to speak, but my throat was closed up leaving me with the choice but to nod. My entire body hurt, and I had no clue what exactly happened when I passed out. Tears threatened to fall, but I refused to let them. Crying was one thing I couldn't stand doing even though this pain was becoming unbearable causing my eyes to start to close.

"Miss? Miss! Keep your eyes opened!" Someone shouted at me, but it was muffled as I was greeted with darkness.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

My eyes fluttered open to that sound before closing back due to the harsh light. The noise wouldn't stop and was giving me a slight headache. My body was in pain, and my mouth was dry. I opened my eyes as the door opened to reveal someone in a white coat, salt and pepper hair, and a clipboard. My eyes narrowed as they were met with the same bright green eyes as my attacker had. Fear bubbled up inside me as I attempted to scoot away from him.

"Miss, please. I won't hurt you. What's the matter?" He asked.

"Please, I want another doctor. You remind me...of him." I wasn't sure if I was pleading with him or demanding. I just wanted another doctor.