Courage - Edited

Sixteen-year-old Arianna Knight walked slowly toward her school with her steps echoing around her. It was a hot day, but the temperature didn't bug her since she was used to the heat. Her waist length light blonde hair was ruffled from the light breeze as she scanned the streets before realizing she was almost at school. Her only friend, Zack Skies, was waiting for her like always at the entrance of the school. His hazel eyes landed on her, so she gave him a small smile as she reached him.

Her school was tiny. Only about five hundred students attended Star High School, so it was completely rare for new students. As Arianna passed a crowd, she was able to confirm there was a new student, and she didn't want to become a part of the group surrounding the new kid. Zack kept people from touching her because she flinched every time someone tried to. So, he made it his job to keep people from being too close to her.

Once she gathered her supplies for her first three classes, she made her way to Advanced English II. She sat in the back left corner to keep herself hidden from others, but she knew it was a wasted attempt once Kasey's baby blue eyes landed on her. Arianna attempted to make herself as little as she could when the queen bee flipped her perfectly straightened hair over her shoulder and started walking toward Arianna. Her gaze landed on the teacher making her tense form relax since Kasey had to sit down before she was given a detention even if it was the first day of school.

Mrs. Aqua, the same teacher Arianna has had for three years, said, "Welcome to Advanced English II. I hope you had a great summer, and it's nice to see some of my students from the previous years here. We have a new student this year. Please, welcome Damien Shadows."

Loud voices erupted from the students as Damien as walked in the room. He looked at the obnoxious teens before he spotted a frail figure in the back sitting quietly. He walked confidently to the girl and took the seat to the right of her. Even he noticed that this girl was different from the rest, but he was thankful for the quietness of the mysterious girl.

Arianna lightly sighed as she caught the deadly glares the girls gave her. She listened to Mrs. Aqua talk about school procedures and safety measures. Although she knew all of them, she still acted like she was listening. After ten minutes passed, she started to twirl her hair on her index finger. She absolutely hated the classes Zack wasn't there with her. This was the only one at least. The shrill bell rang causing students to rush into the halls. Arianna took her time leaving the room so no one could accidentally shove into her.

Zack stood across from his friend's English class. It was routine for him to do this for any class that they had separated. His gaze followed each student out of the room before he spotted a new face. He glared at the new person before he spotted the familiar whitish hair from the side of his eye. He put his attention to his friend and stood up straight. Zack went to Arianna and walked to history, his least favorite class. They sat in the back right corner and watched students walk outside in the hall.

Zack's voice filled Arianna's ears and gave her a sense of security, "Aria, are you okay?"

She gave a slight smile at the familiar nickname before she said, "I'm fine, Zack."

He asked, "Are you sure? You look pretty tired."

"Zack, I'm fine. Nothing to worry about." She gave him her rare smile causing him to be quiet.

Arianna watched as Damien slipped in just as the bell rang. The teacher gave Damien a warning look before calling the roll. Mr. Carson went over expectations, safety measures and so on. Nothing Arianna wasn't familiar with. Once the teacher finished talking, he allowed the class free time. With a sigh, she started writing.