Chapter Thirty Eight

It was like Marcy knew Floyd would come with convincing, because he waited outside for him. 
"What's up?" Floyd raised an eyebrow as the boy stood and began walking.
"I wanted to talk to ya about the uhh..Conversion." Marcy sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.
"..What about it?"
"It's stressin' me out, man." He sighed, "Mostly on how Kristy's gonna react."
"She'll act normally as anyone would if they found out." Floyd muttered as they came across the pond, Marcy taking off his shirt, then sitting down on the bank. 
"Captain Obvious, thank ya." He nodded to him then sighed again. 
"Hah, no problemo. But, uh, how're you feelin'?" Floyd sat and laid back, putting his hands behind his head.
"How am I supposed to feel?" Marcy slid into the water and began to bathe himself. 
"Awful, I guess. Ailing n' whatnot. I dunno, I've never been bit." He rolled his eyes, laughing. 
Marcy waited for the answer, then dipped his head back into the water, kicking his feet up, washing his hair. "Then yes, I'm definitely bit, thanks."
"Marcy Bennett, the boy who was more afraid of gettin' bitten than dyin', is scared? Well I'll be damned." Floyd laughed again, then shook his head. 
 He frowned, stepping out of the water, putting his clothing back on. 
"I'm sure you'll make up some bullshit excuse to give her. Just try to act as normal as possible for a bit, I'll make up some supply run story tomorrow." Floyd laughed and got up, ruffling a hand through the kid's soaking wet hair. He stopped for a moment, then continued. "Hm."
"Hmm?"
"Hm, hm." 
Marcy nodded, "Mhm."
They both laughed.
"You're hot, y'know." Floyd shoved his hands into his pockets, kicking rocks as they walked back. 
"..Thanks, Floyd?" He glanced over and squinted. 
"I didn't mean it that way. Did you forget I'm older than you?" 
"Wait, what?" Marcy froze, then waved a hand. "Oh, I know. Why else would I volunteer to chill in a pond for a bit? Tryin' to bring down my temperature, oldie."
"Tsk."
"Ya sound like a cat when ya do that. It.." Marcy stopped mid-sentence, then continued the thought. "It's weird."
"..Why do you keep stoppin' randomly?" 
"Uhh, different topic." Marcy displayed a tacky smile, purposely opening the doors in a hurry to save himself from further questioning. He strolled inside and flopped down on top of a beanbag. 
Floyd glared, then walked in, thinking nothing of it. He met back up with Kristy at the group's table, slumping back in the chair. He proceeded to close his eyes and slowly but surely fell asleep.