Chapter 3: Finding a way to get Stefan's humanity back

Stefan and Caroline continue driving towards New York. They were now in Atlanta, GA and every few minutes Stefan's phone would ring. It was Elena calling but Stefan would'nt answer it. Caroline looked at him when it rang again "Are you ever going to answer that? She is just going to keep calling you." Stefan looked back at Caroline and took her hand in his "No I'm not going to answer the phone. She obviously got my message by now and she is going to try to get me to switch my emotions back on and I don't want to. Just ignore it okay?" Caroline nodded to him and they both ignored the phone but the next time it wasn't Elena calling. Caroline stared at the phone looking confused "Good one Elena. She is now using Damon's phone to call you." She held it up for him to see. Stefan looked at the phone and then looked away "Answer it. It's clear she won't give up." Caroline nodded and then answered the phone "Yeah Elena we get it. You're pissed......... She was cut off by Damon "Put my dumb ass brother on the phone now." Caroline dropped the phone when she heard Damon's voice. Stefan sees her drop the phone "Whats wrong?" Caroline looked at him with a confused look on her face "That was Damon's voice but how can that be?" They could both hear him yelling into the phone. Caroline decided to pick it up and put the phone to her ear "Damon? How are you able to call me?" Damon didn't answer her question "Put my dumb ass brother on the phone now." She looks at Stefan and offers the phone to him. He just shakes his head no indicating that he didn't want to talk to him so she puts the phone to her ear again "He doesn't want to talk to you Damon." Damon sighed "Put me on speaker phone Blondie so I can talk to him." Caroline puts the phone on speaker and then hold it up so the Stefan could hear "Okay Damon you are on speaker phone." She said.

Damon took a breath and then started talking "Stefan how could you do this? How could you be so stupid? You couldn't get me back so you turn off your humanity? Why not just move on without me, get on with your life?" Stefan doesn't answer for a few minutes "Answer me damn it!" Damon yells into the phone. Stefan looked at Caroline and then pulled the car over to the side of the road then he grabbed the phone and got out of the car. He took the phone off speaker and put it to his ear "I didn't do it just for you. Yes I was upset when I lost my only way to get you and Bonnie back but then something else happened and that just pushed me and Caroline over the edge." Damon just shook his head not understanding what was going on "What are you talking about Stefan? What happened?" Stefan laughed slightly "You mean Elena hasn't told you? Well I guess I will......" he stops and looks at Caroline and then continues "Sheriff Elizabeth Forbes died of cancer. I knew that Caroline wouldn't survive going thru losing her mom and I didn't want to go thru losing you all over again so I told Caroline my plan and she went for it. I'm sorry but I'm not coming home and after this call is over I'm destroying my phone so you can't trace where I am. Do me a favor Damon and just forget about me." Stefan said and then he hung up the phone and then he smashed the phone and let it fall to the ground. Damon couldn't believe what he was hearing, did Stefan just tell him to forget about him? The phone went dead and Damon yelled out in anger and threw his phone across the room "Damn it Stefan!" Elena just sighed because she knew what happened. Stefan wasn't coming home she looked up at him "I don't want to talk about it!" Damon yelled as he walked over to the bar and pulled out a bottle of Bourbon and started drinking. Then he looked at Elena "Why didn't you tell me about Liz?" Elena took a deep breath and walked over to Damon "I'm sorry, it just slipped my mind. I'm sorry about Stefan too but we will figure out a way to get him back. I promise." Damon nodded to her and then he realized that he hadn't hugged her or kissed her since he got back so he grabbed her and wrapped his arms around her and started kissing her, taking her be surprise.

Bonnie came in from the other room and saw them kissing and she didnt want to interrupt them but she had some big news. So she cleared her throat a couple of times as she stood there with a video camera in her hands "Guys I think I found something you should both see." Damon was still very pissed off but was willing to see what Bonnie found. He and Elena sat down on the couch and Bonnie sat between them and she looked at Damon "Remember when we got pulled out? Something crazy happened and we ended up somewhere else." Damon nodded "Yeah um, we were in the old Salvatore house. The house me and Stefan grew up in." Bonnie looked at him "Okay and then you got pulled out but a woman showed up and saw you and said your name, I asked her who she was but she didn't answer before I was pulled out too but the video camera was still on." Bonnie pulled up the video and played it. Damon watched the video but when the woman came into view he took the camera and stood up "Oh my God this can't be. How is she alive?" Elena and Bonnie looked confused "How is who alive? Who is she?" Damon turned to them and turned the camera around so they could see her "Ladies meet Lillian Salvatore, my mother."