Chapter 10

I close my eyes, preparing for a blow. After a few seconds, when none come, I open my eyes again cautiously. The redhead standing opposite has a look of surprise on her face. I search for any signs of fury or annoyance on it but there is none. If she is angry, she is hiding it well.

"Hi Abby," I say tentatively, my heart hammering against my ribs. It pounds in my ears so loudly that I'm sure everyone can hear it.

Before I can react, arms are thrown around my neck and a face buried in my shoulder. I stagger backwards and look at Ollie for help but he looks too stunned to move.

"I've missed you, Ari," Abigail whispers. "We've all missed you- especially Ollie," she adds.

I feel my face heat up and I quickly push her away. Abigail laughs and runs a hand through her tangled mess of dark red curls. She cuts an attractive figure- even in track pants and an oversized grey jacket. Her glasses are perched on her head and her emerald green eyes shine out at me in amusement.

"Do you think your mum and dad would let me stay here for a few days?" I ask.

"Probably. They're out of town at the moment. They won't be back for another fortnight or more," Abigail says, lifting one shoulder and dropping it in a nonchalant shrug. "Our grandma has had a fall and they've gone over to help grandpa out with the bills and basically just supporting him wherever and whenever he needs it."

I open my mouth then shut it, unsure of what to say in response. Finally, I decide on, "I'm sorry to hear that. I hope your grandma gets better soon."

Abigail shrugs and shoots me a wide grin.

"I'm afraid our spare room has been converted into dad's study. Dad has been working at home more often nowadays and nobody was using that room so it's his now. So, if you want to stay with us, you're either going to have to sleep in my room or Ollie's." Abigail's eyes have a wicked glint in them.

I almost choke and Ollie's swoops in to rescue me from having to answer immediately.

"Come on in first so I can close the door," he says, gesturing towards the hallway. "It's pretty cold out."

I nod, only then realizing that I've been standing in the doorway awkwardly for the past few minutes.

"Sure," I say and step inside. Ollie closes the door behind me and offers me a warm drink.

"No thanks." I smile at him politely, trying hard to ignore the googly eyes his sister is giving us.

"So... my room or Ollie's?" Abigail leans against a doorframe. She looks smug taking pleasure in the awkwardness of the situation.

"Yours," I say, a little too quickly. I see the Ollie's cheeks redden, the blood spreading through his face until even the tips of his ears are bright red. I almost want to strangle his sister but I remember that I'd chosen to come here because this is the safest place I can be- where people will understand without asking questions.

"Can you remember the way to my room? It's been awhile since you snuck into our house so you and Ollie  could play together." Abigail wriggled her eyebrows, her words full of suggestion. I glance over at Ollie who has found something very interesting to look at on the floor. He looks so cute in an attractive way and I wonder how many other girls have thought that very same thought I just had.

Abigail laughs. At first, it's a subdued giggle that gradually grows until she's clutching the doorframe for support.

"I can't believe you guys even dated," she giggles. "You two are so innocent, I don't think you guys even know what playing 'hide the zucchini' even means."