Chapter 3. Days

Disclaimer - I don't own any part of the Twilight franchise. I do, however, own any/all OC's I may incorporate into this story, the plot, and most likely anything else you may not recognize. (Copyright 2015 © SassCatt, All Rights Reserved)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

      Annabel lie on her bed, tucked under the blankets and staring up at the ceiling. She had been lying in bed for over a half hour, just reliving the day's events. It had been her first day at Forks High, which wasn't nearly as bad as she thought it would be. When she got back to the Cullens' home, she envisioned a memory. Afterwards she met a few people, Leah and Seth Clearwater, as well as Jacob Black, who were all friendly for the most part. She also wondered when the next time she would see all of them would be. Leah would take some warming up to but Seth was fun to be around; Jacob seemed like he was too, though she still found his wide-eyed stare when they first met to be a little odd. Despite that, she wanted to get to know them all more. 

      One thing she just couldn't shake was her memory. It wasn't much, just her mother writing but...it was something. She didn't feel like she was completely in the dark anymore. This memory proved that her remebering things was possible, and that it could certainly happen again. Maybe she could see more of her mother. Anything, anything at all, would just help. 

      She had tried to tell Carlisle a little earlier about what happened, after Jacob and Seth had left. But she just didn't know how to form the words. She couldn't figure out how to tell him without almost breaking down.

      My mother...

      She really was beautiful. Dark hair, kind dark eyes, gentle face that was worn from work. Though what kind of work, Annabel couldn't remember. But seeing her helped. Hearing her voice soothed her. It was almost a relief. 

      Annabel touched the side of her head again, tears pricking her eyes. She was glad that she'd regained a memory. This proved she was capable of getting them back; maybe not as fast as she hoped to, but it was still something. However, the pain was absolutely ridiculous. Her smile faltered. If she experienced that every time she got a new memory that would surely start to become exhausting.

      Edward, she thought. Edward, if you can hear this...and if you saw what happened to me earlier, please tell Carlisle. I don't really know what to do. I'm so happy about it, but...that pain was horrible. And I just—I can't quite find the words.

***

      The next morning after Esme had dropped her off at school again, Annabel made her way through the halls. She stopped in front of her locker and placed a notebook and folder inside it. Today was her second day at  Forks High School.

      "Hey."

      Annabel turned around to find a familiar girl with pin straight platinum blonde hair walking up beside her and opening a locker. It was Candice. Annabel smiled.

      "Hey," she replied.

      "Listen, we're all really sorry about what Lillie did yesterday," Candice said. "We didn't think she would ask such personal questions."

      "It's fine," Annabel shrugged. "It's not some big secret that I'm adopted."

      Candice nodded. Just as she was about to continue speaking, Dan strolled up to them. He held a binder in his hand.

      "What another dreary morning in Forks, Washington, ladies," he sighed dreamily, as if he was talking about something much better than Forks. The smile he wore was that of a sarcastic one. "Can't you just smell the misery in the air?"