Chapter Two| Deceitful

My judgment had been clouded from the grogginess of sleep. That's the reason, as I knew all too well, that I acted the way I did. Confusion and terror dominated any other emotions I may have felt, conjuring a strange hysteria within my mind.

There was a bang. The sound pierced my ears: a loud pounding sound accompanied by a small, subtle yet audible cracking sound. The sound, as terrifying as it was alone, signaled the beginning of something much more dangerous and terrifying. I didn't understand where the sound came from at first; I didn't know Gold had shut my door.

Splinters and chips of wood flew across my small bedroom. Fear melted away and turned to adrenaline which remained trapped in my body; I refused to follow Gold's orders and leave through the window. I remained there, frozen still, disappointingly oblivious to Gold's repeated orders to flee.

My head whipped instinctively to the right. My eyes widened in horror as my door flew in, hitting the wall blocking its path with a dull thud.

A chorus of gasps filled the room; a group of men in elegant clothing flooded the room. Gold swore loudly at the scene unfolding before us, forcefully dragging my body towards the window.

The men were all tall and well built. With them, they carried unsheathed swords, long and sharp weapons that glinted in the morning sunlight shining through my window.

A man dressed noticeably more intricately than the others stepped up to face Gold and I. He sneered, glaring daggers at us that ripped and tore at my chest. "So, the reports were right; someone as trustworthy as Giovanni lied to us."

I cleared my throat, croaking inaudibly before working up the courage to speak. "What?" My whole body quivered and trembled in fear; I shrunk back from the giant of a man, giving him obvious dominance in my home.

"Don't try and play dumb you foolish, pribbling milk-livered haggard, everyone across this grand kingdom knows the name of the one beside you," the man replied, following the sentence with a growl and a glare directed at Gold. I swallowed hard. I knew all too well at that point that Gold had lied to me, but I did not know to what extent he did.

I was getting quieter by the second. I was surrounded by armed, assumably trained men, with who all I could assume was an outlaw. "I know his name, sir, but I do not know if he is what he told me. He claimed to be a fugitive. He said he needed a place to hide from the bandits in the area."

The man laughed heartily, picking me up by the collar of my plain, stained pajama top. He smirked as my feet left the ground; he pulled me up slowly until our gazes met. He stared me straight in the eyes. Though I was in a state of near-hysteria, I stared right back at him rather than cowering away.

"Anyone who'd believe a tall such as that from someone as clean and well-kept as him... is a fool. And the Soul family is no gang of fools."

He dropped me to the ground, to which I promptly collapsed. I jumped back up, looking at the man. "Then, I'm a complete and utter fool."

The man rolled his eyes and scoffed. "As expected, it's the teenager that destroys the home. You may be a fool, young man, but your father–actually, the rest of your family is not. They've all heard the tales of Gold Heart. Just knowing a family I trusted would betray me so... you ogre bastards, be real."

Screams erupted from a painful silence, all the men pointing at the window. Confusion spread like a puddle through my mind, scenarios of what could have happened pumping through my head fast enough to make me feel dizzy. I whipped my head around to face the window. There was Gold, ready to leap out of the window barefoot to the snow, dirt, and rocks below.