Forte

I believed him, every word that he said. I know now that I loved him from the very beginning, and I know he meant it when he told me that he loved me—there was nothing but truth in the velvety lilac depths of his eyes. Which is why I'm here now, praying with all my might to whoever—or whatever—will hear me. Because when a god dies, who then is left to answer?

**************

It didn't seem fair, I thought to myself, that anyone could be so... exquisite. Especially a man. I shook myself mentally, schooling my features into my customary impassive expression as he headed my way, and willed my suddenly wobbly knees to stiffen.

"Hello there," he called out as he drew near, and my knees nearly gave way again. Even his voice was beautiful: rich baritone waves washing over me, as caressing and smooth as a balmy summer breeze.

"You're the stranger who fell from the sky," I stated. Everyone in town had heard of him by now, of course, and as the Dragon Knight and Captain of the Guard, I had been informed of the freak accident nearly as soon as it had happened. Since Lady Ventuswill, the Divine Dragon of Selphia, had seemed at ease with him despite his strange manner of arrival, I had not sought him out to interview him further, but instead I waited for him to come to me.

"Yes, that's me," he laughed. "My name's Piers. You must be Forte. I was told you were the Captain of the Guard here. I'm hoping that someone here will have some information for me."

"Information about...?" I asked him, guardedly.

"Well... about me," he replied, a troubled look flickering across his eyes for a split second.

"Oh, yes, that's right. Volkanon informed me that you appear to have amnesia. Would that I could help you, but I'm afraid I've received no word of you apart from your arrival. I'm sorry. If I do hear anything that may help you, I will certainly let you know."

"Oh well, thanks," he sighed, then turned and walked away towards another group of townsfolk.

I watched him as he continued along the street, stopping to speak with everyone he met, until at last he turned a corner and vanished from my sight. Even then, I stood as though transfixed, watching him still in my thoughts, until I realized with a start that I was ten minutes late to train the latest batch of recruits.