Chapter 1

I sat on the hood of Drew's car, my legs crossed, my head tilted back, looking up at the night sky of Southern California.

Beach parties were like the VMA'S where we lived. The sand, the open water, the loud music blasting from Drew's car, and the wild and drunken kids from school laughing hysterically at nothing in particular.

These parties bored me to death, but I had no choice but to come.

I was Drew's other half, without him, I was nothing. Eventhough we've dated for over a year, it didn't seem like it. We never acted like we were a "thing". Drew and I were childhood friend's yet our relationship was never awkward like most.

"You're not having fun?"

I picked up my head and looked at Drew who hopped on the hood and sat beside me. He leaned back with his hands on the back of his head in a laying position.

I shrugged as I turned my head and stared at the scenery through my black shades.

"What are you thinking about?" He asked as he started rubbing my back.

Before I opened my mouth to answer, I turned my body around the same time Drew stood up from the hood and turned his head around to see what was going on. One of Drew's drunken friend's were arguing with...them.

Drew hopped off of the car with me following behind.

"What the hell's going on?" He asked angrily, his fists clenched, ready to fight.

I stood right behind him, ready to hold him back from getting himself hurt.

There were six guys and a girl. The girl was sitting on the hood, making out with her boyfriend. Watching them swap spit made my stomach churn.

The other five guys were all wearing black.

They were from the wrong side of town, and they were a gang yet we never knew the name of their so-called "gang."

The girl and her boyfriend stopped making out and looked at me.

I turned my head around, even with the dark shades on, I felt like they could tell I was watching them. I turned my head slowly back, the guy who was making out with the girl was busily staring me up and down. He was tall and built. His complexion was tan and his hair was black and slick like a greaser's. What the hell? Wasn't that era over with?

"Tell your boy to step off." One of the guys said as he stared intently at Drew.

"Why don't you just leave?" Drew ordered.

"Why should we?" The guy asked.

"Because you're only here to start trouble." Drew said angrily as he took a step forward. "Like always."

I quickly grabbed Drew's arm and pulled him back but he pushed me away.

The guy looked at Drew with angry eyes. My mind raced back and forth, because I knew what was coming next. I had to think fast before someone got hurt.

I looked at Drew who was speaking softly and quietly to the guy.

Next thing I knew, the guy swung his fist at Drew, hitting his jaw.

My heart skipped a beat as I fell to the ground next to Drew.

Drew pushed me away, hard, and hurriedly stood up from the ground and punched the guy back.

The guy and the rest of the gang, including the one who was making out, jumped Drew. What made me so angry wasn't the fact that Drew was getting jumped, I mean, I was angry because of that but I was really angry because Drew's "friend's" didn't even help. They stood there, watching Drew get jumped by these thugs.