Chapter One

~Copeland~

I woke up with the morning sun rays hitting my face. Summer isn't my favorite time of year. Sweat, endless heat, and girls walking around half naked, it just isn't my thing. A week ago I promised Tyler I'd visit him today. So therefore, I am on my way to the hospital right now. The hospital isn't very far from where I live since the town's population is probably five hundred. That explains the little amount of houses, shops, and buildings. Want to know a bad thing about living in a small town? Everyone knows everyone. There's nothing thrilling here, and plus, people can notice little changes in you. For example if you get the slightest trim in your hair, people will take it as ten inches cut from your hair.

"Did you lose weight Cope?" The town's sheriff asks as he walks towards me with a coffee cup in his hand.

"Um, no," I mutter softly as I tug a few strands of hair behind my ear. No one ever realizes that I don't try to lose weight, it just happens.

"Are you feeling okay? Is the treatment doing well?" He says as he stares intently at my face, looking for an answer.

"Yeah, I just really have bad coughs sometimes."

"Well that's good. Now I have to go, people need me at the station," he smiles and pats me on my shoulder as he walks past me.

I continue walking, trying to avoid any communication with people. 

I finally reach the hospital and I walk through the automatically opened doors. "Hi Sally," I say as I walk over to the counter separating Sally and I. Her head pops up from what I assume paperwork. 

"Copeland!" She stands up and reaches for me from over the counter and gives me tight hug, "Here to visit Tyler?" She pulls away from the hug.

"Yeah."

"Well you know where to find him," she points to a hallway.

"Okay, thanks." I walk away and make my way through the hallway and into an elevator. I push the button of the floor Tyler is on. I lean against the wall of the elevator, feeling a little weak in my legs. My hand clutches onto the strap of my bag which hanging from my shoulder. I start to feel light headed. There's a ding, and then everything goes black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Sorry guys, I know it's short for a first chapter but the next will feature a different character so don't worry. Gonna try and actually finish this book. So excited!