Episode 13

"Jon!" I call after him. "Jon! Wait up!"

"Did you know?" Jon yells as he turns around to face me.

"What?"

"Did you know?"

"Know what?" I ask.

"That James is a vampire?"

"Are you kidding me? There's no way he's a vampire. He's covered in runes, he holds seraph blades, do you want me to keep going?"

"Then how is he as fast as he is, puts sugar in his coffee, and is recognised by vampires? And in case you haven't noticed, your dad has runes too. How does James know that what Oscar is doing is possible unless he's doing it too?"

"There is no way James is a vampire." I say, not able to avoid answering him. "He does have fangs, he doesn't drink blood, and he isn't super pale. I've seen vampires up close. Believe me, James is not a vampire." I lie.

"Really?" He asks.

"Yes."

"No." James says from behind me at the same time I say yes.

"Where the hell did you come from?" Jon asks.

"Training room. I heard you two shouting. No point in hiding it anymore. Seems like everyone else already knows." James says. "Guess I'm not that great of an actor."

"How long?" Jon asks.

"A few weeks before we were supposed to be parabatai, so about a year ago." He says.

"I guess you're either a great actor or I just didn't care enough to notice." Jon says.

"Jon. I didn't want the Clave to find out. That's why I hid it. I want to be a Shadowhunter. That's why I lied to everyone."

"Did Jordan know?"

"Yes." I say. "I knew once I met him. The fact that he couldn't go into sun light and he has amazing hearing, Gretel told me that, and when you were quieter in your feet than any other Shadowhunter. Just because I found out in five minutes doesn't mean that I'm smarter or better than you. It just means that I didn't know the guy and I studied vampires in my free time for years to figure out how Wes tricked us."

"Oh. Wow. And you kept his secret?"

"He didn't seem to be a threat. He didn't want to be like this. It was an accident."

"Who else knows?"

"My parents found out about a few months ago. Then Jordan, Oliver, Jensen, Oscar, and now you." He says. "Then there's the guy that turned me. Also, every other vampire in that hotel knows."

"Who turned you?"

"Miguel. He saw me bleeding to death. I was too weak to use a healing rune. He came along and fed me his blood. The demon came back after he left and I fought him a little more, but he killed me first. I was still pretty week."

"Wow."

"When I woke up I was confused. Stumbling through the streets, people could see me, I was so scared. Then I ran into a little girl that cut her finger. I fed off her, but I stopped once I realised what I was doing. I bandaged her up and made her forget what happened. I ran to the Institute and hid in my room and slept all day. That night I went out and searched for Miguel. He introduced me to a warlock who helped me keep my runes and still appear to be a Shadowhunter. I made the seraph blades myself. That have almost the same effect as normal ones, but they don't kill as easily.