Chapter 1 - How It All Began

Georgia Rose's POV

"Georgia, smile! Act happy! It's your first day of preschool!" my mother said with a gleaming bright smile, as she held a disposable camera in her hand.

My dad was standing there as well, his arm placed gingerly around my mom's hip. At four years of age, I was standing in the front foyer of my house with the two of them, about to leave for my first day at Underfield Preschool. My parents seemed to think it was the most important moment in my life so far, but I was less than enthusiastic. I was so nervous, clutching my Minnie Mouse doll close to me. I didn't understand why I had to leave my parents, or what was really even going to happen.

My mom walked over to me, tugging at the bottom of my dress that was covered in lots of little pictures of Raggedy Ann holding a chalkboard. "Aren't you excited, Georgia? You're going to have lots of fun and make lots of new friends!"

"But Mommy, I don't want any new friends. I can have fun with you and Daddy at home," I whispered faintly.

"Honey, you have to go. But Daddy will pick you up at the end of the day, and when you get home I'll have your favorite dinner ready just for you, ok? And you can tell us all about the new friends you made," she said, kneeling down and pulling me into a hug. "Now, how about we take a picture, alright?"

"Ok, Mommy."

My mom went back to stand by my dad, as I stood up straight and put on the biggest smile I could manage as my mom snapped a picture of me in front of the big, white, wooden front door.

"We both love you very much, Georgia. I can't wait to hear about your day after I pick you up," my dad said, as my mom leaned in for a hug.

"I love you, Daddy. I love you, Mommy," I said, and then turned around and walked out the looming door with my childish innocence, my dad following behind.

My dad placed me in my childseat in the back of our car, and drove off to my preschool. When we arrived, I saw a handful of other children walking into the building with their parents, and my eyes grew wide. It was the biggest white building I had ever seen in my life on the top of a hill, surrounded by gardens and trees.

“Daddy, is this the White House?”

My dad laughed, but I didn't understand why, “No, Georgia. This is your preschool.”

“Really? It's so big, and I'm so small...” I shrunk down in my seat.

My dad climbed out and then proceeded to pick me up and set me down on the pavement. “Don't worry, the bigger it is, the more places there are to play hide and seek in it.”

We walked into the preschool and were greeted by four teachers.

“Hi there,” said a young brunette one to me, “I'm Miss Jenna. And who are you?”

I shyly grabbed onto Daddy's leg, half hiding myself behind it before whispering, “Georgia Rose.”

Miss Jenna crouched down so she was at eye level with me, “It's nice to meet you, Georgia Rose. What a pretty name you have. But don't be scared, we're going to have lots and lots of fun today. We're going to do crafts and play dress up and there's a whole big playground out back just for you,” she said, pointing at me, “Doesn't that sound like fun?”

I moved out from my position behind my dad's leg, “Really? For me?” My eyes glistened at the mention of that.

“Yes, for you. And for all your friends that you're going to make today. In fact, why don't you go meet some of them right now, ok?”

I wasn't completely convinced yet and was still feeling a bit shy, but I said ok, hugging Daddy goodbye, “I love you, Daddy.”

“I love you too, Georgia. Have lots of fun with your new friends.”

I walked farther into the building, where all the other kids were. Some were playing dress up in one corner, while others were pretending to cook in another. I didn't know where I should go, so I stood confused off to the side, looking at all the other kids playing.

I did that for a few minutes, until I noticed a boy with slightly curly hair approaching me.

“Hi,” he said to me, smiling a toothy grin, “I'm Marcel.”

I shyly looked up at him, “I'm Georgia Rose.”

“You look lost, Georgia Rose.”

“Everyone is playing with each other and I don't know how to join. I'm scared.”

Before I knew it, Marcel was embracing me in a hug with his little arms, “Don't be scared. Just stay with me and don't let me go.”

“Ok, I will.” I smiled innocently.

Marcel sat down next to me against the wall, and I did the same.

“Wanna color?” Marcel reached over to the shelf next to us and grabbed a pack of crayons and a piece of paper.

“I love coloring!” I excitedly said, grabbing a pink crayon. Marcel carefully picked out a green crayon, and begun to color with me, as we filled the piece of paper with the best masterpiece two four year olds could manage. I grinned looking at my new friend with the curls. With a friend as nice as Marcel, maybe preschool wouldn't be so scary afterwards.

I suppose that day almost ten years ago was how it all began.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know this chapter was boring, but I wanted to set up the plot of how they met and became friends. In the rest of the chapters, it'll be in the present and YOU'LL START TO EXPERIENCE THOSE MARCEL FEELS. I'll try to update soon. Let me know what you think so far. (:

Lots of love,

Penny xx