Chapter 14

Chapter 13 told from Zayn's P.O.V

-

I lounged on my coach while carelessly flipping through tv channels. I couldn't stop worrying about Avery. The full moon's a dangerous thing to mermaids. She should be in the safety of the sea cave, not out dress shopping. Anything could happen. My phone began to vibrate and I grabbed it to see everything Avery's name flashing on the screen.

"Hey, how's everything alright with your-" I greeted but the unfamiliar voice cut me off.

"Zayn, this is Avery's friend Hazel," She said with a distressed tone. "Is Avery with you?"

"I-I thought she was with you?" I stuttered and slowly raised from the couch.

"She spaced out and ditched us at the mall." Hazel explained. This doesn't sound good.

"Why do you have her phone?" I questioned.

"She left all her things with us."

"Don't worry," I ordered and grabbed my keys from the table. "I think I know where she might be."

"Call me if you find her." Hazel demanded. I declined the all and flew out the door.

••

"Avery!" I called as I ran down the beach. Maybe she wasn't here after all. I stopped running and peered down the coast and saw a slow walking figure. I bolted until I stood in front of her, stopping her for walking. Her stared right through me as if I wasn't there and didn't say a word.

"Are you feeling alright?" I asked and caressed her cheek. She grabbed my hand tight and yanked it away from her face. It hurt like hell but I didn't back down. "Why'd you do that?"

"Move out of my way." Avery's voice sounded deeper and lifeless. Her eyes were drained of all color.

"I can't do that. You're coming with me." I demanded. I tossed her over my shoulder. She flailed her arms and kicked her feet but I tightened my grip. I buckled her in and locked the door before driving back to my house.

We entered my house and I forced her to sit on the couch. The whole car ride home was silent. Avery's eye started flushing green again and I'm assuming that's a sign of her getting better. I picked up my phone to ring Hazel and tell her the good news.

"Hello?" Hazel answered.

"I found Avery." I sighed and sat down next to Avery on the couch but she jumped up and ran for the kitchen. I watched as she stared at the sink intently but didn't think much of it.

"That's great news," Hazel said and sighed with relief. "Tell her I'll stop by tomorrow to drop off her stuff."

"I'll pass on the message." I promised and nodded my head.

"Where was she?" Hazel curiosity asked.

"Well, funny story-" I stuttered and turned to see the sink running. My mother's always rambling on about reserving water and appreciating all I have.

"Can you turn that off?" I asked while covering the bottom half of the phone with a cupped hand. Avery's eyes narrowed with anger and with one swift movement, a huge ball of water raced towards me . I ducked behind the couch as everything in front of me became drenched in water. Holy shit.

"I'll have to call you back," I spat into the phone and hung up before she could respond. "What the hell are you doing?"

I popped up from behind the couch and ran to the kitchen to turn off the sink. "Look what you did, Avery."

"That's not all I can do." Avery threatened and tossed her head back while raising her arms. Her eyes glared into me and a big gust of wind knocked me backwards. I landed roughly on my back and groaned in pain.

Papers began to fly around the room in a big tornado. This was out of control. Without a second thought, I sprinted to the back foot and threw it open, running towards the lake. I glanced over my shoulder to see Avery following me. This girl's going to kill me. I felt warm air beat down on my back and a ball of fire whirled past me, hitting a tree.

Avery cornered me at the edge of the pond and panic filled me. I grabbed her shoulders and shoved her violently into the pond. She hit the water with a splash and I locked myself in my downstairs bathroom. Once the moon sets, everything will go back to normal.

Is it strange to say that she looked cute while trying to brutally murder me?

6:00 am

I woke up to light flooding the small bathroom. I stood up and slipped out the door to find Avery. I scanned the backyard and saw her laying face down in the grass with her tail on. Avery's limp body began to move and I had to stop myself from running out to see her. She could still be under the moons spell or something. Hiding in the bathroom was my only option. I heard footsteps against the wood floor and the door swung open.

"Don't hurt me." I managed to cry out.

"Why would I do that?" Avery questioned. I leaped out of the corner and cradled Avery in my arms. She was back to her old self again.

••

"I'm sorry," Avery apologized and placed her cup of hot chocolate on the nearby table. "At least I found a dress for the dance."

"Speaking of," I began and inched closer towards her. Now was probably the best time to ask her. "Would you like to be my date to the dance?"

a/n

Thanks for reading and voting!

xoxox, Leah