Chapter 16

"That joke's still not funny!" Hazel yelled.

"It's not a joke." I screamed back and clutched my fists.

"You really do have brain damage from." Flora inspected my head and I vigorously shook my head.

"I didn't have brain damage." I muttered.

"Did you ever see a doctor just to make sure?" Hazel asked with a popped out hip.

"Watch." I ordered and sprinted to the sink and turned it on. This was it. I reached a hand out but the bathroom door swung open and a group of girls strutted in. I turned off the water and cursed every high being I could think of.

"Well?" Hazel asked and motioned towards me.

"I can't show you while there's people around." I whispered.

"You're kind of freaking me out, Avery. How about you call us when you're ready to tell us the truth." Flora snapped turned on her heels with Hazel. I managed to lose Zayn and my two best friends in the span of 10 minutes.

••

Saying I was sad was an understatement, I was completely devastated. Perrie knew my secert and unless I want to be tested on, I had to stay away from Zayn. I couldn't text Zayn since Hazel still had my phone. I couldn't talk to Zayn in school because Perrie would reveals my secret right there and then. I can't go to the dance with him anymore but I couldn't just ignore him. I really liked Zayn and it seemed that he liked me too. Why does Perrie have to ruin everything in my life? And my friends think I'm was crazy.

For the rest of the day, they didn't talk to me at all. During lunch, I ate in the bathroom alone. I ignored Zayn all day and I had to say, it was hard. I had to act like it was in the beginning of the year again, like I never even met him. I needed someone to talk to.

I laid in my room staring at Marley, my little black gold fish. The only thing that seemed to make me laugh was him. He swam around the glass that was facing me, as if he knew something was wrong.

"Why is life so hard?" I asked myself. I rollled on my back and stared up at the ceiling as if god was going to answer my question.

"I dont know." A voice spat that I have never heard before. I looked around my room and even down the hall.

"Mom?" I screamed but there was no answer.

"She's not home." The voice sounded again.

I looked up at the ceiling, "God!"

"It isn't god, what is wrong with you?" Then I relized, the voice was coming from my room. I glanced at the closet.

"I know karate!" I formed a not-so-smooth pose and kicked at the door.

"I think we both know you can't do karata to save your life." My lips dropped to a frown. It was true. I didn't know karate at all.

"Over here, Avery." I slowely turned my head to the fish tank. No, no, no this is not happening.

"Marley?" I questioned as I sat on the floor staring up at him. Suddenly, his mouth moved with ever word.

"That's me, I just can't believe you can hear me." I can talk to fish now? That's a first.

"It might be something to do with me being a mermaid." I blurted out. It'd not like my fish is going to be going around telling everybody my secret. He's a fish.

"You're a mermaid? Cool! What color is your tail?" Bixby asked. I then began to laugh, even when he couldn't talk he made me laugh. This is a just a bonus.

"Gold." I chuckled and tossed my hair over my shoulder.

"Well, what's got you troubled kid?" He blew bubbles in the tank as he asked me that question.

"I just lost my best friends and Zayn because of this stupid tail." I muttered and leaned against my bed.

"You were dating Zayn? Your huge crush you always talk about?" How did he know that? Oh right, he was in my bedroom the whole time when I talked to Hazel about him. Which reminds me, he was in the room when I changed....that is awkward.

"Were not dating! He knew my secret and he promised to keep it for me; but he might have asked me to the school dance." I stared at the fish with every word.

"He likes you!" Marley began to circle the tank whilst cheering.

"But now, because of Perrie, I-" I began but Marley quickly cut me off.

"Perrie? God, I hate that chick. She ruins everything in life for you." Finally, someone understand in daily struggle. Even if it is my fish.

"She told me if I talked to Zayn, that she would tell everybody my secret." I sighed and fell back on the floor of my room.

'Don't listen to her, I mean seriously? Who is going to believe that?" Marley said. He did have a point but Perrie could splash water on me and have proof for everyone.

"I don't know what to do. I can't just blow off Zayn when he already asked me to the dance. I really like him and he likes me." I shouted. I hope my mom does not walk in on me talking to my fish. She would probably send me back to the doctors to get a brain scan. Why does everyone think I have brain damage!?

"I only have three words of advise." Marley started off. "Just keep swimming!"

"That's from Nemo." I chuckled, I didn't have a TV in my room and I haven't watched Finding Nemo in a long time. Marley definitely didn't hear that from me or the TV.

"Who?" He blinked. See, he can always make me laugh and feel better.

"Well, thank's for the words of wisdom but I don't think that will help me."vI leaped up from my spot on the floor and opened his tank to feed him.

"Thank god, I am starving!" He thanked god...well me. I giggled as I watched him eat the fish food. Maybe he was right. I need to just keep swimming no matter what happens.

I wish I could talk to him when I first started high school.

a/n

This is just a boring chapter that is leading up to the end of the book! Yes, sadly Switched is almost over but what do you guys think of a sequel? Tell me in the comments!

fan

vote

comment

add to reading list

xoxo, leah