The assignment

The next morning, Mr Lewis and Mr Connor went to the police office to request the assignment. And that is were they met Mr Richards.

"Good morning," said Mr Lewis the moment himself and Mr Connor opened the door.

Mr Richards looked up from his work in surprise. "Good morning," he replied courteously looking at the two men.

Mr Lewis and Mr Connor hung their hats on the rickety wooden stand by the door and walked up to Mr Richards desk.

"We'd like to request to try and solve the murders that have occurred in recent days." Said Mr Lewis promptly.

"You expect to solve a crime my own men can't?" He said.

"We'd like a go, yes," said Connor sounding slightly uneasy.

Mr Richards hesitated and looked between the two men as if he thought they were mildly crazy. He took in the sight of the two of them. They didn't look like fools. Perhaps they just wanted to give it a go. Nonetheless, he wouldn't have two witty men about announcing they were solving crimes.

But as they looked at him, Mr Richards that perhaps, even if they did turn out to be two fools, he could still sell an article about two clowns going around trying to solve mysteries, this could be gain. 

"Very well," said Mr Richards slowly still unsure about his decision. "What are your names."

"Lewis, Jack Lewis."

"And Louis Connor," added the other man.

Mr Richards scribbled down their names.

"Very well gentlemen, I want a full report on your findings. 10 pounds if you solve it."

Lewis and Connor exchanged a look.

"Good day, sir," said Mr Lewis walking over to the hat stand and replacing his hat on his head and tipping it towards Mr Richards. "We'll tell you what we find."

"Very good," said Mr Richards watching them and fiddling with the paper containing their names.

"Good day, sir," said Mr Connor upon leaving.

Mr Richards nodded as the two men left, smiling to himself.

Their names would end up in the paper, whether under men apprehend the murderer or men found claiming to be solving crimes, we would see.