Chapter 5; What's Going On?

"I never took another picture of him"

A stray tear fell from my eye as I read the last line of the chapter i was on. It ran down my cheek as i chuckled at herself, and stopped the droplet in its tracks as it reached my chin. My ringtone rang out, surprising me. Reaching into my pocket, i checked before answering, smiling at Sam's goofy Contact ID picture.

"hey," I picked up, sniffing

"hey.. Wait, Kay, are you crying?" Sam asked Incredulously.

"er.. No?" I answered sheepishly, sniffing again.

"Kayla don't tell me that locker thing is still upsetti-" Sam said, concern laced into his voice.

"no, no it's not that Sam, don't worry" I interrupted him, putting my book back onto the desk.

"then?"

"I.. Er.." I started, not wanting to admit I had been crying at a book.

"Kayla tell me," Sam sighed.

"okay fine, I was reading and it was an emotional scene okay" i admitted, running a hand over my forehead in embarrassment. There ws a long silence on the other side, before Sam erupted into laughter.

"yeah haha, it's hilarious. Is there any reason you called?" I said, trying to change the subject.

"oh, yeah, Blake called" Sam told her. I waited expectantly for him to continue. There was a silence, as if that was the end of Sam's news.

"and I suppose that you were just so amazed and starstruck that the one and only Blake called you that you just had to tell me about it?" i joked, rolling my eyes.

"now who's the comedian" Sam deadpanned. "as starstruck as I was, no. he called to invite us to Derek Hamley's party,"

"who's that?" I asked, racking my brains for the name.

"you know, son of the guy who owns the massive mansion downtown?" Sam explained, and I remembered the house he was talking about. The parties there were infamous, but I had only heard the stories, as I'd never been invited to them.

"be ready by 7" Sam said, before hanging up. Putting the phone back, i looked around her room and sighed. My eyes lingered on the piles of clothes in my basket and the wardrobe full of dresses. This was going to take a while.

I rolled off her bed, falling with a thud onto the floor. Rifling through her clothes, a stab of pain hit me as I reminisced about the times my sister would always help out with makeovers. Those times were over now, evidently. Ever since she had returned from hospital, complete with a fractured wrist, we hadn't exchanged any words. It might have been because I had been avoiding her at all costs, but i wasn't ready for that confrontation yet. Tears pricked at my eyes and I brushed them away, telling myself to stop being pathetic.

I finally decided on a white blouse type shirt with a cute black bow on, and black skinny jeans, so i lay it onto the bed as I began to get ready. Once dressed, I untangled my hair from the knotty bun it had been thrown into, and dragged a comb through it a few times. Brushing on some makeup, the doorbell rang, making me smile at the perfect timing. The house was empty except for me; mum and my sister had gone shopping, so I ran down the stairs and opened the door. Sam stood in a light blue button down, and black jeans, grinning. I stopped myself from checking my best friend out, cringing.

"you look great, Kay," Sam complimented, and I waved it off.

"you're not looking so bad yourself," i joked, grabbing my purse and phone, before heading out to Sam's car. It was quarter past 7, and I suspected the party would be in full swing already.

****

UNKNOWN POV

I squeezed past another drunk teenager, becoming irritated as she grabbed my arm and attempted to dance with me. shoving her off, I kept walking down to the kitchen. If I wasn't waiting for Kayla to arrive, I would've left already. Parties really weren't my thing. I made it to the counter, and poured myself some punch, wincing once I'd tasted obvious alcohol included in it. Placing the plastic cup back down, I looked around. I became frustrated as i searched the crowd. There were way too many people here, I would never be able to find her!

"hey handsome," a girl slurred from beside me. I looked down at her, wanting to laugh at her desperate attempt to look seductive. Her red dress was a good few inches too short, and probably a size small from the look of things. Her fingers trailed a line down my arm, and she came closer. The smell of alcohol was making me want to gag, but it didn't look like Kayla was going to show up any time soon.

"want to dance?" I asked, winking. The girl's face lit up, and she nodded, practically dragging me to the next room where the music was blaring out from. I guess I could have some fun, at least until Kayla gets here.

*****

We could hear the music from three streets away, and my heart had started to vibrate with the volume of it as we pulled up in front of the house. There were already paper cups littered all over the front lawn, and at least 4 couples investing in some PDA. Sam glanced at mewith a 'woah' look, and then we went in.

The feeling of claustrophobia crept up on us as soon as we entered as we were engulfed into the crowd of kids. Sam's hand curled around mine as he pulled us both into the kitchen,which was considerably less crowded. As luck would have it, we ran straight into Kyle, who seemed, to their surprise, quite sober.

"KAYLAAAA!" he shouted, grinning and pulling me into a hug, rubbing the top of my head. Ah, well he HAD seemed sober.

"how much have you had to drink, Kyle?" Sam chuckled.

"only like..." Kyle counted sloppily on his fingers, before looking up and beaming, "eight cups"

"oh god, take it easy," I laughed, shaking my head. Kyle didn't seem to hear me as he hugged me again, and ran off back into the living room.

Sam poured both of us a drink, and we both pulled a face at the sharp tinge to it. I finished the cup and sighed once i realised i now needed the bathroom.

"I'm going to the toilet, go and dance," I told Sam, having to shout over the noise. Sam looked at me sceptically, mouthing "already?" before smirking. I just shrugged, and squeezed through the crowd to make it to the stairs. To get to the staircase, I'd have to make it through the horde of dancing teenagers, and so i took a deep breath to prepare myself. Pushing through the crowd, i praised myself at now well i was doing at not walking into people, until i walked straight into a couple. The girl glared at me, pulling the red dress she was wearing up, tugging the guy close to her. The boy didn't seem to notice, so I hastily pushed past him, muttering an apology as I made it onto the stairs. Climbing up, i thought I heard my name being called, but searching the crowd, i couldn't find the source, so i just made my way to the bathroom.

Stepping over a couple lying on the floor, I reached for the gold handle of what i presumed was the bathroom. Clicking it down, i opened it, jumping in over some kids arm. Looking up, I nearly screamed, clasping a hand over my mouth to stop it. Two guys were full on making out, pushed against the wall in front of me.

"oh my god I'm so sorry, I should've knocked oh god I'm so sorry guys" I apologised profusely, trying to exit as quickly as i could, crashing into a stand and causing the products on it to crash to the floor.The boy closest to me turned around, seemingly in shock. He let go of the other guy, who then stepped around into my sightline.

Eyes wide as saucers, I froze as I recognised his face. The boy didn't move either, his face slowly turning crimson.

"oh crap" he breathed, not taking his eyes off me.

"Jacob, what's going on?"

*******

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cliffhanger :D

So two updates in a day, you're welcome ;)

But seriously guys I need help with the casting, I'm terrible at things like that. I attempted to edit this but ther might still be some errors because my iPad typing abilities aren't great,, so sorry!

I'll try and update sooner than last time, but idk, votes and comments motivate me more so ;)

~