Ghosts, Ghouls, and High School Fools [19]

“Watch me, Quinn! You must watch me!” Lazarus yells at me. He somehow managed to get me a fake, wooden sword and has been teaching me to use it. It sucks.

“No, Quinn, you don’t hold a sword like that!”

Obviously, I’m a slow learner.

“Are you even listening to me? Pay attention!”

I also have a short attention span today.  Can you blame me, though, after kissing Jonathon?

“Ouch!” I yelp when Lazarus’ sword raps me on the head.

“What is wrong with you, Quinn?” he frowns at me.

“I-well-I don’t know. Just a lot of thoughts in my head today,” I say as I rub the new sore spot on my forehead.

“What kind of thoughts?”

“Just about Jonathon and this whole messy situation I’m in.”

“Do you want to talk?” he floats to my side.

I don’t answer for a second, and then say, “Is there truly no way to save Jonathon?”

“I’m afraid there isn’t, Quinn.”

“But-but, why? It’s not fair! Jonathon’s never done anything wrong! It was all Vikter!” I throw my wooden sword to the ground, “Why can’t he live?!”

“I told you, Quinn. Jonathon was not meant to live in this century-“

“I don’t care! Why can’t he live in mine? He’s adapted quite fine to my century, seems quite at home, in fact, so why not?”

“It’s just the way it is. It is beyond my power or anyone else’s power to change it.”

“That’s not good enough!” I yell at him.

He lets out a long breath before moving towards me, placing a cold hand on my cheek. “I know this is hard for you, Quinn. It’s hard on everyone who loses the one they love.”

“I haven’t lost him yet- wait! Love? Who says I love him?” I slap at his hand.

“It’s quite obvious. Especially now, after your talk with him in the woods.”

“No!” I pick up my sword and move to smack him with it, but he brings up his and blocks it. With a war cry, I attack him, slicing and cutting at the ghost, forcing him to guard and parry. A slow warmth crawls along my limbs and all the ache in my body disappears. My muscles start to move on their own, knowing the steps and techniques. I have no idea where this sudden knowledge is coming from, but I welcome it and let it take over.