Back to the Party

The change in atmosphere was tangible

The change in atmosphere was tangible. I could see it in the flashing strobes, feel it in the beat of the music, and taste it in the sweat filled air. The light didn't help the grotesqueness of the zombies, though. No one seemed to care that I just appeared out of a wall as no one turned my direction.

"Materializing from a wall must happen all the time at this party," I mouthed to Michael.

"What was that?" he asked.

"Nothing, just tell me what to do next."

"Go down the staircase and through the ballroom. Then take the first set of double doors on the right. The room you highlighted is the third door on the left. Just don't get made."

"Roger, roger."

"It's hot when you talk Marvel to me." I rolled my eyes. Boys and their toys.

This was it. I pulled out the cheap zombie mask I'd procured from Lee Ann's closet and slipped it on.

"Thank you Lord for a big chest and bras to store stuff in." I said. That mask and Michael's computer shielding would hopefully be enough to get me through the party alive.

I weaved in and around as few bodies as I could. No one here that I recognized yet. So far so safe. Then I spotted her on top of a table in the middle of the room. Lee Ann was table dancing! I ducked my face but not fast enough.

"I know that mask!" She shouted from her perch. Had she drunk the Kool-aid too, or was this the zombie effect? I wasn't about to stick around to find out. I made a mad dash for the hall Michael had mentioned ducking past a girl being eaten by some dude with his chest ripped open.

'Lovely couple,' I thought as I let the doors hit me on my way out.