Chapter One

" Dang it!" I groaned after hearing the tearing seam of the small bear's arm. "Mom, can you get me my...nevermind!" I changed my mind at the last second because my mom doesn't know that I still have a possession from my father. Then I heard my mom yelling; I just ignored it because I thought she was screaming because he did something to her. I try to ignore it because he does this a lot, but I could have sworn that he left in a storming fit of rage.

I look at the clock and sigh. I put the stuffed bear back into the box I had gotten it from and stand up, walking back towards the closet. I put it down in the corner and throw a small, torn blanket over it. I look back at the clock, not wanting to go to school in the morning. I slowly make my way back to my bed and plop myself down and go under the comforter; I drift off to sleep.

I start to hear heavy boots thudding on the tile of the kitchen floor; the door in the kitchen squeaks and slams shut.. I sit up in my bed; my heart racing and my chest slightly hurting and eyes wide open due to the sudden loud noises. I throw my comforter off of my body and swing my legs over the side of my bed. I put my feet to the floor and I have a shock race up my legs and down my arms as my feet squished against it's cold, hard wood. I stood up with my feet flat on the boards. 

I hear the door open again and I freeze in my place. Loud, fast footsteps were heard and then a gunshot; another thud is heard, then the footsteps and the door slamming shut. Wishing that my curiosity would stop, I started drifting towards the door. The door opens, my hand on the doorknob. At that, I walked out into the hallway, being as careful and quiet as I could possibly be. As I stepped onto the warm carpeted floor of the hallway, I heard a clicking noise behind me. I turn my head around quickly and see nothing. I walk to the staircase, but hesitate; not knowing what was going to be waiting around every corner. I get passed the fear, and walked down the steps cautiously.

As I walk down the spiral stairs, I hear a small sniffle and a breathy cough. I look behind me and see Kendra standing at the top of them with tears streaming down her face. I walk back up with slight speed and put my hand on her shoulder.

"Kendra, I want you to go back into your room and hide underneath your bed." I whispered to her. She shook her head. "Go!" I whisper-yelled. Her eyes widened and she quickly turned around and ran into her room. I closed my eyes and sighed. I turn back to the direction I had been going in before.

When I reach the end of the stairs, I stand at the bottom of them, not wanting to turn the corner. I take in a deep breath and pick up the courage to move on. I walk through the living room and into the kitchen. When I look in front of the refrigerator, I'd pinch myself a thousand times before accepting that it was reality. Hoping it was a dream, because what I saw was something unforgettable. I see a dark red liquid splattered on the floor and the walls; and a body that I recognized well.