Chapter Four

I ran to my mom's boyfriend and started to cry. I know he was a horrible person, but he was a human being; well, in this case, a dead one. 

I stop crying and wipe my face from the unwanted tears. I shouldn't be crying, I am a strong person. I thought to myself. I get up from the ground, my knees wet and hands cold, and begin running again. I knew that it wasn't my mom's now dead boyfriend, I only had a few choices: stupid ex? All of her exs are still trying to get revenge, but I don't think they would want to kill her. Jealous sibling? All of her siblings hated that she had more money than them and had a great house and a luxurious car. The possibilities could go on and on, sadly.

I kept running, these thoughts racing through my head. Until I find the pond, and I searched everywhere. In the bushes, in the tall grass. She couldn't have been in the pond, it was frozen over and there were no holes in the ice.

As I was just about to give up and go back, I saw another trail of blood, but this time it wasn't on the trial, it lead into the thick trees and bushes of the forest. I got up and jogged into the woods. I felt as if I were hovering over all of the fallen branches, giant roots, and thick, thorny bushes.

I looked around me as I ran, finding nothing but wilderness and snow. I stopped to catch my breath, and then I heard a noise coming from behind me.

I went completely still, not moving a single muscle. I close my eyes and take in a deep, needed breath. I looked back, I saw somebody with a pistol in one hand, and my little sister in the other.