Amelia

"The weather today will be at a high of 81 degrees, wonderful weather for the first day of school." The news anchor said as he set down his mug.

"Wonderful Weather, huh?" I thought to myself as I rested my head in my palm, blankly staring at the screen.

For me, I had to continuously wear a uniform not compatible for hot weather. It was a white dress shirt, a black tie, a somewhat thick skirt that almost touched my knees, and knee high socks. Due to me being in high school now, I had to wear low heel dress shoes, whilst still managing to arrive to class on time in crowded halls. The thought of sharp pains in me feet as I walked throughout the hallway made me cringe internally.

I groaned, running my fingers through my newly dyed brunette locks. My mother had grounded me for a month after she caught me doing a poor attempt to dye my hair blue. But after an hour at the salon on Main Street, it was back to its original color.

My mother walked over to where I was sitting, writing away on her laptop. She sighed a bit as she narrowed her eyes at the screen, as she pulled herself into a chair. She was a lawyer, working on the latest case she'd been assigned to. I admired her ability to work long hours ever so passionately, but it saddens me that she was too busy to even notice her child starting her first day of sophomore year.

"Thanks for the meal mother." I gave her a smile, as I walked over to put my plate in the sink. She simply nodded, and continued to type on her computer.

I slowly dragged myself upstairs to get ready, regretting that I stayed up until 1 am again. After a refreshing shower, I blow dried my long hair and pulled on my uniform. Growing up I always kept it shoulder length, but my mother insisted I would look prettier with long hair. It reached my elbows now, and while everyone around me always compliments it, I wish I could keep it at a more manageable length.

Putting on mascara, I stared at my brown eyes. I always envied my mother's big blue eyes, but I got my father's genes. I used to eat carrots religiously as a child, hoping my eyes would change color because I heard on the television that carrots help your eyes. I was mistaken about it's ability to change your eye color, but at least I don't wear glasses.

Throwing my bag over my shoulder and putting on my shoes, I called out "I'll be off to school, mother!"

"Remember your wallet, for food! And your phone!" She replied.

I held my breath, wondering if I had charged my phone or not.

I grabbed it off the counter, thankfully seeing it at 100%. I shoved it into my pocket, and tucked my wallet into my bag. My mother said she couldn't drive me, so I walked my way to the bus.

*****

I strolled into the newly modernized building, looking around at the lavender lockers and crowds of people huddled at various places throughout the hall. The air conditioning hit my face the moment I walked through the door, and I smiled as I instantly felted cooled off. As I looked around at everyone, you could tell my town was the definition of suburbia. We had all of the cliques you see in the movies, and the weight of it all intensified given I went to a co-ed private school with incredibly rich students.

I always wanted to get out of this town, but every time that sentence runs through my mind I quickly remember that my life isn't a coming of age movie.