Chapter 8: Problems

Dixie holds her baby tight against her chest with one arm and the other holds her bag. Alex is still sleeping soundly even with the noises of traffic and the busy people on the street. "I wish I was a heavy sleeper like you Alex." She smiles down at her son.
'My son...I have a son. What would my parents say? What would Bruce say? I wonder what he and the boys are doing... It doesn't matter right now. I need to get Alex inside'

She walks up the many steps to her apartment floor all the while chatting to Alex while he slept soundly. She steps into the room and places Alex into the crib she had ready for his arrival. "I hope you like this crib Alex. You have no idea how hard it was to build. It took me and the Titans four hours to get halfway through it!" She chuckles at that memory and tucks a small blanket around Alex's sleeping form.

Suddenly she hears shouting coming from downstairs, getting louder as it gets closer. She glances over at Alex, afraid the sound will wake him but he's still asleep. The Titans enter the room not long after that. "Dixie!" BeastBoy shouts happily "Why did you call us hear? OH MY GOD!!!!! THERE'S A BABY THERE!!" He shrieks in shock. And Starfire screams with happiness. She flies above the crib and practically shouted down to Alex. Dixie is about to give out about them waking the baby when she realises he's still asleep.

She pushes her friends out of the way and pulls Starfire back from the crib and leans into Alex. She checks his breathing. Nice and steady, he's definitely asleep. But why hasn't the noises woken him up? She talks to him. Voice raising with each sentence. He doesn't even twitch.

"Something's wrong..." She grabs her bag, taking her phone out and dials the hospital.
"Hello? I have a problem. I have a newborn, born yesterday, and he's not responding to any sound. Nothing at all." Dixie nods at the reply, "I'll be there soon. Thank you."

She hangs up the phone and takes Alex out from the crib into her arms. The sudden movement wakes him up and he cries unhappily. "Shh. Alex, honey." He cries on oblivious to her talking to him. She turns to the Titans "I have to go to the hospital."
Cyborg steps towards her, "We're coming too. You can't stop us. BB get the car ready. Come on Dix. Let's go."

~

1 hour later at the hospital....

"You must be Dixie Grayson. Alex's mother." A doctor says as he walks into the waiting room. She stands up "Yes. How is he?"
"He's a perfectly healthy child, but we did the hearing screening and I'm afraid your child didn't pass. Though he may still be able to hear, you should make an appointment with a audiologist in the next week. You will most definitely get an approximate answer there."
Dixie stares at him, worry evident on her face. Raven stands behind her and places a hand on her shoulder in a supportive manner. "Thank you Doctor. I'll have that appointment set soon. Can I get my son?" He nods and points to the door he came from, the nurse is with him in there."
"Thank you."