A Place Where All Things Are Bright and Beautiful

It was an usually bright morning for me. I'm still my usual busy self, standing at the bus stop, impatiently waiting, but I got this feeling deep inside that made me want to stop and smell the roses. I wanted to do it, really, but I was hindered by my job. The Oreo Cookie company executives would not wait for anybody, and if they wanted a whole new marketing plan today, then they should've had it yesterday. That's just the way it works.

When the bus finally came around, I had somehow gotten pushed to the back of a huge crowd of people. By the time I could even get to the bus, it had already reached its limit.

"Sorry lady," said the bus driver. He looked down at me and a tiny piece of his greying hair fell in front of his eye. "maximum capacity."

I sighed and thanked the man anyway. He nodded, closed the bus doors, and sped off.

"Now, how am I going to get to work?" I asked myself. I looked down at my feet and came up with a good idea. "I'll switch my heels for flats and jog to work! That way I should get there on time and I won't have to work out later."

After finding a nearby park bench to sit on, I switched out my shoes and started on the four mile jog. It was now that I thanked myself for getting an apartment so close to work.

Around halfway through the jog, I started experiencing dizziness. My best guess what that it was from my lack of breakfast, so I stopped for a minute and leaned on a nearby tree. Unfortunately, the dizziness only got worse, and now it seemed like the world around me was dissolving, which is impossible, right?

Apparently not.

Suddenly, the tree I was leaning against was gone, the nearby road was gone, and all the dogs in the park were gone. I looked around, only seeing trees. Just lots and lots of really tall trees. Of course, there was green grass and a blue sky, but mostly just trees. Where am I?

I looked to the sky again when I heard faint music. Little white things were fluttering to the ground. Birds? Butterflies? Nope! They were feathers! The white tufts fell all around me, and a few even got caught in my hair.

"Downy feathers kiss your face and flutter everywhere!" said a male voice from somewhere behind me. I spun around, but didn't see anyone, until a head popped out from behind one of the trees. "Who are you? Where am I?" I asked.

The man came out from behind the tree and took a few steps forward, making me lean back a little. "My name is Adam, and you are standing in Redwood Ivy Forest."

"No... just a few minutes ago I was standing on the sidewalk by Cherry Park."

"Oh boy... Oh geez... Uh, well... What's your name?"

"Annika."

"Well, Annika, there's really no easy way to put this..."

My eyes widened. "Put what?! Did I die?! Is this what heaven looks like?!"

"No and no... Like I said, there's no easy way to say this, so I just gonna say it. Basically, you're in an alternate universe."

As the words sunk into my brain, I started feeling lightheaded. I tried walking away, but I stumbled and nearly fell over. Adam lunged into action and supported me with his arm around my waist.

"D-Did you-u just s-say-y..."

"Alternate universe? Yes, yes I did."

"Oh gosh..."

"But don't worry though!" Adam assured. "There are others from Earth here too! We're working together to get them back home. You should join us."

"Well," I said, standing up and freeing myself from the support of Adam. "I have no clue which direction to go, so sure. Let's go."

"Hold on," said Adam. He knelt down to pick up the feathers, and then placed them in his backpack. "I use them for pillows," he explained.

Adam and I walked side by side, mostly in silence. I was so taken aback at the trees that surrounded us. There were mostly redwoods, but also some pines, and lots of velvety ivy. To pass the time, Adam suggested we ask each other questions. I was to go first.

"I know you said your name is Adam, but really, who are you and what do you do here?"

"Yes, I'm Adam Young. Mayor of Owl City, which is where we're headed."

"Is there like a president or something?"

"See, technically I'm the president, but honestly there's really no need for one."

"Why's that?"

"Since I rule over all the lands, and we live in harmony, there's no wars. We don't even have any type of military. Really all I do is make decisions about money and stuff."

"Cool."

"Okay, my turn!" said Adam. "Tell me about yourself."

"Annika Jameson, 27, head of marketing for the Oreo cookie company."

Adam stopped in his tracks. "No. Way."

"Yes way."

"I LOVE OREOS!"

"Me too," I laughed. "Wait, you have Oreos here?"

"Not really, but once a year I go to Earth and buy a case and bring them back. I do it with other Earth foods too."

"Oh, that reminds me," I said. "Tell me about the other people of Earth that are here?"

"Two sisters, Emma and Natalie. Emma's twelve and Natalie's eight. They were at the beach and they swam into an underwater cave. Said cave teleported them to Ocean Eyes Island, where I found them while searching for blue sea salt."

"Twelve and eight?! They must've been scared to death! Where are they now?"

"Actually, they weren't scared, and they're at my house in Owl City."

"They're by themselves?"

"No, my neighbour is checking in on them every once in a while."

"Oh. That's good."

Just as the question game died down, Adam and I neared the tree line. We stepped out into the open to be greeted by a blue sky with fluffy white clouds and light green grassy hills. Occasionally there were some small trees and bushes, and far off into the distance there was a small convenience store.

"It's too far to walk to Owl City, so we're gonna grab my car from the parking lot down there."

"A convenience store? In the middle of nowhere?"

"Just come on. It'll make more sense when we get there."

Adam and I began walking towards the building. It didn't take long to get there, but we were delayed by a strange noise. When Adam heard it, he crouched down behind some nearby bushes and pulled on my arm, signalling me to do the same.

As the noise got louder, I turned to Adam. "Is that a synthesiser?"

He just looked at me and nodded. What have I gotten myself into?