Chapter One

I didn't have many friends. In fact, I had none. I didn't know what I was doing wrong. But after my mother died, nobody really wanted to talk to me. There were so many rumours. That she had been murdered. But I didn't believe that. I used to come into school just to hear these voices. Everybody talking about it. And, due to the entire werewolf thing, which more often than not was more of a burden than a blessing, I could hear everybody's voices so much louder than a normal person.

"That's the girl I told you about..."

"Freak.."

"Did you hear what happened to her mother?"

There wasn't anything I could do about it. I was already at the bottom of the social ladder, and I didn't want to drop any further. I finally built up the courage to sit next to Stiles. The Sheriff's boy. A boy I had been longing for for as long as I could remember. Scott wasn't there; his best friend, maybe he was somewhere else, studying, or something, and he was sitting alone. Without Scott, he was kind of just lost. And rather than sitting alone today, I could use some company.

"Hi. I just... I saw you were sitting alone, so, I just figured you could use some company."

"Hm? Oh. Hi. Yeah, Scott's in the library... Make-up test, or something. Thanks."

Those were the first words he had probably ever said to me. And I was really glad I decided to come over here. I knew something. About Scott. And I knew that Stiles and Scott were confused about it. Werewolves have a kind of sixth sense when it comes to other werewolves. A werewolf radar, if you will. And I knew the scent of a new werewolf. It was all over Scott. Stiles was a nerd, there was no denying that, probably into Star Wars, and you know, other nerd things. So he had probably had the idea of werewolves already. Just as a joke, though, of course. He just wasn't aware how right he was.

"Can I talk to you, in private? I know you and Scott have been trying to work out what's happening to him, and I think I have the information you need."

Ah. That caught his attention. His ears seemed to prick up, and he turned his gaze towards me. That may have been the first time I'd seen his eyes up close. I could stare at them all day. They were like chocolate pools of- Stop it, Lena. You have a job to do. I stood up, pulling Stiles up with me by his hand and causing him to spill his water bottle everywhere. Whoops. I hadn't realised he was in the middle of drinking.

"Oh, God. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do that."

I covered my mouth, unable to hold in a laugh. This wasn't a great start. I'd just caused my crush to throw a bottle of water over himself, and now I was laughing at him.

"Sorry. It's not funny. I'm not laughing."

He cocked a brow towards me, before rolling his eyes. He let me off, though. He didn't cause a scene, so, I guess that was progress.

"Well. I guess I better get up before you throw my entire lunch over me." He stood up from the bench, following me outside, and away from the students littering the halls. We managed to find an empty classroom, so we decided to talk in there.

"Alright, um. This is going to sound really messed up... And you're not going to believe me at first... I don't expect you to, we hardly even know each other... But... As I said, I... I know what Scott is.  I just have to ask of you one thing. Please don't walk out of here thinking I'm insane. Alright. Um. Scott.. Scott is... Scott... Scott's-"

"Spit it out, Lena!" For some reason, it surprised me that he knew my name. But it made me smile. Like a total idiot. It gave me that last piece of confidence that I needed, though.

"Scott is a werewolf."

Silence wasn't the best sign in the world. In fact, it was the worst. I could tell just by looking at him that he didn't believe me. And it hurt like hell. I had tried to be friends with Stiles before, talk to him before, but it had always gone about as well as this was going. Terribly.