Over The Water and Through The Wood

Lena Overwood was, and still is, essentially a strong girl. Not in the sense of fitness (even though, she was quite fit), but more in the sense of mental strength.

Having grown up in the city of New York, a place polluted with crimes and bright lights, she had to deal with an abusive father as a kid. She didn't really consider her childhood a "childhood," more like an early adulthood. Lena's only proof she had of her young nightmarish memories was the remnants of a gash etched into her left cheek.

Not too many questions were asked about it now, although once in a while a children's abuse case would come up and she would get pitiful looks.

The way the agents would look down at her made her feel like a child again, even though mentally she felt almost elderly with the hardships she's had to go through only at the age of 28.

Lena Overwood was a 28 year old private investigator, whom once in a while helped the FBI. Recently, they assigned her a partner to train to become one of their new agents on the field. Since most of their agents were extremely busy or already had a partner, they asked her to take of the job of training this-- Lynn Johnson?

Lena preferred to work alone. She always has. It's a surprise that she even has a boyfriend, Lawrence Brookfield. The only people she ever talked to anymore was her boyfriend and her mother, and of course the FBI but that doesn't exactly count as a friendship or relationship of any kind. Anyway, hence the reason why she was a private investigator, she wanted to be alone.

But the job of training Rin Johnson paid well and at the moment she needed the money, she was running low and needed to pay rent that week.

She got a phone call from an unknown number.

"Hello, this is Lena Overwood," she answered and across the line came a distressed voice.

"Hi, my name is Paul Leo? My wife, she's missing. Um, could you, help?" He sounded uncertain with himself.

"How long has your wife been missing?" Lena questioned.

"For the past um, day," he answered.

Lena sighed and replied, "You do realize this isn't a distress hotline? Your wife would have to be gone for at least 48 hours before she is considered missing."

"No! No, this is different. You see, I don't remember any of what happened yesterday- I believe I was drugged."

Things suddenly took a more interesting approach.

In the middle of grocery shopping, Lena accepted the case before calling that Rin Johnson and inviting her to be escorted with her. She then called her boyfriend and told him she would be late home before going to the address Mr. Leo gave to her over the phone.

On the car ride there, Rin wouldn't stop talking. She talked of college and other things and although it was polite conversation, it was quite distracting.

Lena gave a tip to not talk as much when it came to more serious matters. Rin nodded solemnly understanding and stared out of the window blankly on the rest of the car ride there.

As they arrived the man escorted him into his house in the suburbs, a frankly nice place to live if you didn't want to deal with as much noise.

"Hello Mr. Leo, did you clean anything around the house after you discovered your wife was gone?" Lena asked.

"No, everything is how it was when I woke up."

"Great. Rin, do you mind if you ask him questions about his wife while I look around?"