First Few Steps

First steps;

Do prepare yourself! It's a small bit like meditation. It is a bit disorientating but refreshing, once you are through with it.

All distraction needs to be banished. Eyes closed and noise blocked.

Especially if it is your first time, some classical music and to close your eyes is always a good precaution. You might find yourself suited to different ways, but I prefer classical music or silence.

Decide your palace. For first timers, it's the best choice to choose a real place you know well, such as your bedroom. Although the thought of something better is appealing, the caretaking takes an exhausting amount of effort.
However, after a brief study, many people reported to me that they liked an imaginary palace as opposed to a real one. Keep in mind, PLAN IT OUT if you have an imaginary palace. Do not attempt to make it up as you go, or your mind palace will end as just another attempted trick, However, for beginners, making their first mind palace palace the bedroom is the best way to go. Once you're confident in your abilities, expand further. Unless you can close your eyes and see the Gryffindor Common room, Tardis, or 221B as clearly as the room you live in, it's best to stick with reality.
Mentally picture your palace. Don't think about little items like books and trinkets, all you need is a base layout. If you are there, wander around, familiarise yourself with everything, even if you already believe you are very familiar with it. Continue this practice until you have a solid image of the place, that you can conjure up in your mind perfectly. It often takes several days. The first palace is the hardest part.