nine | seeing ghosts

"I'm seeing the pain seeing the pleasure, nobody but us"

- zayn malik, "pillowtalk"

- [this is a v v important chapter pls read it thoroughly]

"It's called a spectra," Deaton informed the small brunette. Lennon arrived at the clinic alone to attempt to find information on her growing powers. The girl had her hands placed on the metal examining table in the middle of the room with the vet in front of her. "It's latin for seeing ghosts. They're said to date back to the early eighteen hundreds."

With a shaky breath, Lennon looked up to Deaton. In her eyes, there was a shining fear that she couldn't hide. There was a hollowing in her chest, making her feel like her entire world was going to come crashing down. "What does that mean, Deaton? Over these past few days, I've been going insane: first, I literally hear and see dead people; second, I saw two people die in one night, like yesterday; third, I can see this weird pulsing thing around everyone and it's freaking me out."

"Spectras are usually female," Deaton supplied as he nodded to the estranged girl. "It's unlikely to find a male spectra, especially in todays time. Spectras are commonly known for their ability to see dead people, communicating with the dead is also known. You see pulses of energy from people, you can block it out normally because they aren't in any life-threatening situations. Sometimes, you'll be able to hear voices in your head, but not like a banshee, it'll be much louder and could potentially cause you to pass out."

"It's blue," Lennon frowned as she closed and opened her eyes to see Deaton's pulses. It was like an aura, a distinct royal blue color that was floating around his body. Lennon's however was a deep black color. "Why is mine black?"

"Because you died," he leaned on the table. "You were dead. But when Scott pulled you out and saved you, it jump started your life but it also altered it." Seeing Lennon's confused look, Deaton sighed. "You crossed over to the other side. You're essentially in touch with the part of you that died and it never when away when you came back. That's the difference between a spectra and a regular person that died and came back to life. You still have a part of you that's dead.

"That part of you can do things with dead people that a normal person can't," he continued. "When you become fully capable of your powers, you can call dead people to you and they can heal you. Your pain tolerance is higher because you've felt people die and it helps you and the dead. Spectras are known to be connected to banshees, hence Lydia. You and her are connected in more ways than you know. You two must be connected at all times, if not then both of you will slowly go insane."

Running a hand over her face, Lennon felt herself breathe. It was one thing to find out what happened to her but to also find out about her insane abilities made her want to pass out. Lennon crossed her arms, looking at the ground. "Thanks, Deaton."

And with that she rushed out of the clinic. Her chest felt like it was going to cave in. Lennon gasped, silent cries escaping her mouth. She was dying inside, but it was different than when she was in the river. This was like someone was sitting on her chest, refusing to get up so she couldn't breathe.