Chapter 1: Cree

"And now, the clock is counting down, as we have 60 seconds until the grand release of the first full dive VRMMORPG, Infinite Art Virtual Reality! Also known as IAVR or IAV, we...". Cree shuts the live stream on his computer and puts on his head gear. It is labeled X-V. It is the symbol of the company X Vorrent, which worked with the full dive virtual reality founder, Yivious Legia, to make the O-V head gear that will soon display the release of the game, IAV.

      The focus of the game besides being a impact on history, is that people can live a normal modern life in the game, but is then exaggerated and fantasized. With each update that will be coming, more and more ideas will fill up this world. The possibilities are infinite, since the size is limited to the server hard drive and memory, which is in the compiled into a few thousand petabytes. This is why it's called "Infinite Art".

      Cree closes his eyes and waits as he slowly feels his control over his body numbing for a few seconds and then comes back. This is when he knows that his nerve receptors that controls his actions in the real world has been cut off and whatever his brain tells him to do now is inside the system. 

Connecting. Loading. Rendering.

      The system tells him this every time, but this time it's different. This time, instead of seeing "Game has not been released yet." He is seeing "Time Until Release: 21, 20, 19..." As the countdown ticks, Cree knows he had a small part to play in changing history. X Vorrent had held a limited time offer for people to submit an application to be a beta tester or bug finder/ fixer. Getting to be a beta tester was rare since it was limited to 1000 people. However, a bug boy (that's what they were called) was limited to 200,000 people. Cree was lucky to become a bug boy. The top bug boy was, Mack Plintal, who was able to get himself a position inside the company. As a bug boy, Cree saw many lines of coding for the game and was able to get a small experience of how it worked.

   "3, 2, 1." The game has been released. Cree's eyes flutter open and immediately starts entering his account information, since he had the privilege of making one early since he was a bug boy. He knew that he needed to be quick or he will miss the chance of getting one last thing the Y-V company can still give him.

      Color fills his vision as he is brought into a world that he feels he is in, but he knows he is not. A whole other world that has both modern society's and the ideas people that goes beyond a single person's imagination. This should satisfy him enough to last him for weeks before he is bored. However, Cree is still in a hurry, he looks up hopefully to see the notification he is looking for. He waits knowing that his chances are so slim.

Beep.

      A notification that pops up signaling with a big, "6th" on it, causes Cree to gasp in joy. He has done it, he is one of the first 10 players to join the game. The first 10 players gets to go to Xcon in Florida and sits with the founders of the game in live television. Also, he and the other 9 players will get a unique in-game item that no one knows about except for the company itself.

      Dozens of people that saw that notification or the dance immediately knew what had happened. Some said positive things like, "Congratulations!". However, there are always the negative, "Cheats", "Hacker", and other inappropriate things that are said about him that Cree ignored. He blocked all the friend request list that is going to be filled up once people know he was among the top 10. Just as he pressed "Block", 2 friend requests was sent to him and was silenced.

      Cree Rendall knows that he is satisfied about how things went. Little did he know about the coming terror that will threaten his life for more than a year. He put up a smile and ran through the crowds of people surrounding him in this colorful and beautiful virtual world.