Chapter 5: Ken

Ken had gladly accepted the offer to help him level up. Everything was going to so well until the skies turned red. A world border activates. The last thing he remembers was that he was sucked into a blue void.

"Hello players."

      The voice comes at Ken so suddenly he pops up out of his sleep and headbutts into someone. He rubs his head and looks around him. There are millions of players around him. Ken stands up and looks around.

"Such a hard head, Klent."

      Ken looks in front of the person he had bumped into. It's Crendall. Ken smiles as Crendall turns back up to the AI figure in the air. Everybody else inside the world border is also doing the same. All the players gathered here seems like they all have been teleported. There are so many people, is everyone in the game here?  Ken thinks to himself as the AI begins speaking again.

"This is an emergency. We have found a problem with the logging out coding. Apparently, you cannot log out and this is the only way you can get out of the game currently. If someone removes the X-V head gear from the physical world, this will cause you to die immediately since your brain hasn't properly disconnected from the game."

"What."

      The AI shows latest news enlarged to a huge resolution for everyone to see. Ken and the rest of the crowd gasps in shock as they see the photos of dead people filling the screen each with a head gear removed on the side. Some of the people have blood slowly filing out of their eyes and noes. Most were just innocent teenagers lying in bed with bloody steaming heads that shows where the head gear once was.

"Holy Yivious!" Klent spat out.

"Not the best way to describe it." Crendall hissed.

"These are numerous accidents when players had forcefully "disconnect" from the the head gear" The AI continues, "We are warning all players to immediately call from inside the game using the calling system pre-installed in the server network to anyone you know  from the outside who will pull the head gear off once you have been in the game too long. Like your parents for instance. We have already put a worldwide alert and have people working on this "bug". We are now currently trying to contact the creator, Yivious, for assistance."

      Crendall looked at him and nodded at him to follow. Ken followed him down an alley way and into an inn. These inn's are where you can stay while inside the game. It lets players heal, talk privately, eat in-game food (which won't satisfy your hunger in the real world though), and sleep while still in-game. He payed the NPC at the counter for a 3 hour stay. "Why are you wasting money already?" Klent asked as he watch Crendall grab the key for their room from the NPC's hand.

      They walked up to the 2nd floor and opened the first door marked R1 which was the symbol that marked their key. As they entered, Crendall looked around before shutting the door and locking it. He sighed and asked if Klent heard everything the AI had said.

"Yes, I did." Klent replied.

"Good. In order to gain your trust as a friend, I am going to tell you my real name. I can trust you based on the way you speak even if I can't see it in your virtual character's eyes. My name is Cree. I was a bug boy before the game's launch."

"Looks like my guess is correct about you being a bug boy or beta tester." Klent replied surprised that a bug boy like Crendall, I mean Cree, is so honest and straight forward.

"Anyway" Cree continued, "The AI states that what is going on is a bug. However, everyone who was a bug boy or beta tester knows that this is not a bug. Something this serious and big can't be just a bug. Especially when you see how thoroughly  this game has been checked."

"What are you trying to say then?"

"What I'm trying to say is that this is not the work of a simple bug in the game, but a virus programmed by a person."