Chapter-1

'Aye, What you doin over there?' I called from across the lawn, At my two brothers Jean and Will, Who were loading up a wagon.

'Loading up the wagon.' Called Jean, My oldest brother, Who was now putting big boxes in the back of the wagon, While my little brother Will was putting stuff in the boxes for Jean to put in the wagon.

'Oh.' I said. 'Why.'

I really wasnt intrested, But I was nosey.

'Mama told us to go on uptown and sell some of papas old stuff.' Will said packing more stuff in the boxes.

'No!' I screamed as will starting shoving one of papas old quilts in a box with other blankets of his that were all torn up and dirty. But this one was papas favorite quilt. And there was nothing wrong with it in the first place.

I ran over to will who was stopped in his position with the quilt still in his hands and grabbed it from him and craddled it in my arms.

'You know your never gonna move on unless-' Jean started up.

'I dont care.' I said plainly.

Papa had only died a few weeks ago, And they were already trying to sell his things.

Will and Jean stood quietly.

'Well..' I said 'Im coming with y'all.' 

'No you aint.' said will and jean at the same time.

'Yes I is.' I said As I hopped in the front of the wagon.

They sighed.

'Fine, But i'm tellin' Said will.

'Then tell.'

'But- Mama dont want you going uptown, She said she dont want you around all those white folk up there.' Said Jean.

'Since when do I listen to mama.' 

They both sighed 

'Alright.' Said Jean.

They both hopped on the wagon, Leaving me in the middle of each of them. 

We shortly arrived to the Morissons store cause they were gonna go and try and sell some things.

 I waited a short while, Until will and jean came back outside.

Will had a dissapointed look on his face.

and Jean looked so mad.

'What? What happened.'

'Nothin' Muttered Jean.

'Nothing?' 

'They aint gonna buy no nigger stuff.' Will pouted.

'They said that?' I furrowed my brows.

'Sure did.' Will said.

'Hush.' Muttered Jean.

A big frown came upon my face.

Anger swelled up inside me.

I got a small box from the back of the wagon.

'What you doin?' Said will.

Ignoring him, I got all of papa's rings out and put one on each of my fingers.

Jean and will grew silent.

I hopped out from the wagon and rushed into the morissons store.

Behind the counter was Jeremy Morisson. And in the back was his daddy.

'I already told yall niggers, we aint buying no-' Jeremy started up but I interrupted him.

'Nigger stuff?' I asked.

'Yea.' He said.

'Well thats funny.' I said, Motioning towards his shirt.

'See that?' I asked.

'See what, What you talking bout?' Jeremy asked sounding confused.

'That shirt your wearing, Well a kid at my school, Has the exact same shirt.' I said.

'So?' Jeremy asked.

'Well, I go to an all-black school.. Remember?. It's the only school for the blacks anyway. You should know that.' I said looking at him like he was dumb.

He didnt say anything else.

'So. Evidently, You do buy nigger stuff.'

'Or niggers be buying our stuff.' He huffed.

'Oh, Really.' I asked.

'Man. Get out.' Jeremy said.

'Ok.. But first let me tell you somethin.. That kid, Had that shirt 4 years ago. And Im just now seein you wearing it.'

He grew silent.

'And I heard that kid got hanged just last year. And they done sold all his stuff.'

'If you dont get out you gonna be hanged to.' He said.

'Naw.' I said.

'Not if I tell your daddy where you got that shirt.' 

He grew silent again and A faint laughter came from behind me, A familiar laugh, It was Danny morisson.

Jeremy had a dirty look on his face. 

I reached over the counter and told jeremy 'Ever, Call me, OR my family niggers, I'll be back. And I wont just be talking, Ill be hittin to.' I told him exposing all my rings.

'Ooooh.' Jeremy said sarcasticly. 'Im so scared.'

'Should be.' I said.

And with that I walked out of the store and started taking my rings off, When Mr. Morisson walked out after me

'Threatning my son?!' He yelled

'No sir. Just talking to him. That's all.'

'No.'

'Yeeeeeeeeeeees.' I said.

'You-' Mr. Morisson began but Danny burst out.

'Daddy, Theres a leak in the back.'

'God damn it.' Mr. Morisson said fleeing off back into the store.

Danny gave me a wink and went back in the store to go help his father.

'What was that?' Asked jean.

'Nothin.' I said. 'Nothin at all.'